Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes a loose intake tube will cause all kinds of problems. A big air leak like that will throw everything off as far as the ECM is concerned. Not positive about the P0420 though, just keep an eye on that one but if it was running rough enough then it very well could have caused it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes a loose intake tube will cause all kinds of problems. A big air leak like that will throw everything off as far as the ECM is concerned. Not positive about the P0420 though, just keep an eye on that one but if it was running rough enough then it very well could have caused it.

Yes, unmetered air (air that gets in after the MAF) can make these engines run rough, and can cause poor fuel trims.

OP
OP
D

dukbludvl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wanted to report back on my original post. My CEL with the same codes (P0101, P0102, P0420) came back on about a week after I had the battery disconnected. I ran some CataClean through the fuel tank and the CEL went off within 50 miles and has not come back in over 1,000 miles. I have to say the engine seems like it's running way better now, too. Smoother idle, seems to get up to 75, 80 mph easier -- just overall seems to run better. I will probably run some Techron through it in another month or two. Want to make sure the CataClean really did clear up the Cats issue/code.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Just wanted to report back on my original post. My CEL with the same codes (P0101, P0102, P0420) came back on about a week after I had the battery disconnected. I ran some CataClean through the fuel tank and the CEL went off within 50 miles and has not come back in over 1,000 miles. I have to say the engine seems like it's running way better now, too. Smoother idle, seems to get up to 75, 80 mph easier -- just overall seems to run better. I will probably run some Techron through it in another month or two. Want to make sure the CataClean really did clear up the Cats issue/code.
You're lucky. I used cataclean in my van--didn't work.

OP
OP
D

dukbludvl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s entirely possible there was nothing really wrong with my cat but the code was thrown from the intake leak??? But, I fixed the leak and had the battery disconnected, the codes reset, and then came back after the leak fix. So I’m not sure if it was a true cat problem or not. The cataclean cleared the CEL after about 50 miles though. I figure it worked.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s entirely possible there was nothing really wrong with my cat but the code was thrown from the intake leak??? But, I fixed the leak and had the battery disconnected, the codes reset, and then came back after the leak fix. So I’m not sure if it was a true cat problem or not. The cataclean cleared the CEL after about 50 miles though. I figure it worked.
Either that or the code cleared itself.