Denali front drive train possibly binding? FIXED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Mac

Reaction score
2004 Denali - has had a ticking sound from left front under heavy acceleration since I bought it a year and a half ago. Well now ticking noise is gone...but when take off from a stop at any speed...the steering wheel is pointing a bit to the right (about 1 o'clock) and the truck slightly pulls right (heavier acceleration equals more pulling to right). After a few seconds it feels like something 'releases', no noises at all, and the steering wheel straightens out and the truck almost jumps to the left slightly before going straight like it should be. Two times when I was backing up and turning the steering wheel (to the right I think both times) there is a very noticeable clunk (can't tell from what side) and a feeling like something that was binding has released. That's been when backing into my driveway. I'm gonna call my mechanic and see when I can drop it off but just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and what to expect. I'm guessing front drive axle(s) maybe.

Thanks!
Jason

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Jason,

I have something similar on my 2003 Yukon, except to the left... It happens under moderate acceleration, and as soon as I reach my desired speed and get off the accelerator, the wheel straightens out. It's like severe torque steer.

I have replaced all suspension components in the front end and I have added a steering stabilizer... All with no effect on the problem.

I have a pair of new hubs sitting in the garage I hope to install this week... I have read that worn hub bearings can cause similar issues (I don't mind throwing money at wear items, since the truck has 150k miles on it and I don't know the maintenance history).

Out of curiosity, do you have Stabilitrak? I have a "Service Stability" message on my dash and a C0131 Unknown Error code when I scan the system, so my issue may also be related to that system.

Another thing I have read about this issue is that a lift can make the problem more noticeable... I see that you have a 3" lift. I also have a lifted front end.

I have decided that if the hubs do not work, I'm going to lower the truck back down. If that doesn't work, I'm just going to deal with it for a while since I'll have spent so much money on the truck.

Let us know what the mechanic says, please!

OP
OP
J Mac

J Mac

Reaction score
Adam,

Truck does have Stabilitrak but no message or codes. I had someone else mention it could be the hub when I talked to them about the ticking noise. It'll be Wednesday before I drop it off at the shop. Definitely need to get it fixed though...I'll be pulling our camper to the Outer Banks in 2 weeks and don't want to see how much worse it reacts when pulling that!

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Jason,

I'm hoping to replace the hubs in the next day or two, so I'll follow up on what (if any) difference they make.

OP
OP
J Mac

J Mac

Reaction score
Sooo...found out the issue. I had the truck aligned Thursday and it was fine driving home Thursday and to and from work on Friday. Friday evening I got on the gas one time real good and that's when the problems started. Turns out the shop that did the alignment didn't tighten the upper control arm on the pass side all the way when they were done and it was moving in and out a bit. Mechanic tightened everything up and I took it back to the shop that aligned it. Needless to say they got an earful...and the truck was taken in right away. Glad it wasn't any major wrong with the truck...and we all make mistakes...but damn!

OP
OP
J Mac

J Mac

Reaction score
Oh...the ticking noise is still there...assuming that's the hub or axle on left front. Haven't really checked that out yet. Only does it under heavy acceleration and hasn't gotten any worse since I got the truck so I'm not really in a big rush.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooo...found out the issue. I had the truck aligned Thursday and it was fine driving home Thursday and to and from work on Friday. Friday evening I got on the gas one time real good and that's when the problems started. Turns out the shop that did the alignment didn't tighten the upper control arm on the pass side all the way when they were done and it was moving in and out a bit. Mechanic tightened everything up and I took it back to the shop that aligned it. Needless to say they got an earful...and the truck was taken in right away. Glad it wasn't any major wrong with the truck...and we all make mistakes...but damn!

That's disturbing... Glad it wasn't something major to fix!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman