Cross Continent Tune Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheyenne383

Far North Lurker
Reaction score
I finally got around to getting my 2016 Suburban tuned this summer, just in time to drive from Healy, Alaska to North Georgia. The Suburban has paid it's Alaska dues and will now live out it's days in a much kinder environment in the southeast.

Here's the rundown on the current modifications, tune, and my experience for those that are on the fence or doing research. My Suburban is not heavily modified and I doubt it will ever see a drag strip, the tune for me "cleans up" some factory cushion and makes the vehicle much more enjoyable to drive... my non-car minded wife even noticed and appreciated the differences.

I purchased an Autocal V3 tune, discussed via email my wants and needs and filled out the online questionnaire. I did have to clarify something when downloading the new EFI Live software and scanning the initial data, they were quick to respond via email which was great. I chose an 89 octane tune since I don't always have premium available in remote areas, now that I am back in civilization I may hit them up for a retune for 93... time will tell.

I have an aFe intake and Corsa Sport cat back which have both been on for the last few years. I also had gotten in the habit of driving in M5 to eliminate the annoying AFM back and forth on low MPH back roads which are what I drive on most. The truck has over 120k miles on it and has done very well in a very extreme environment.

Now on to the tune, this is my third BB tune (03 Silverado via mail, 06 Sierra in person event) and I have always enjoyed the drivability improvements. Specific to my 2016 5.3/6L80E/3.08 4x4, the throttle response is much better, the transmission shifts like it "should", I had AFM turned off under 72 mph, and the economy improved quite a bit. The two best takeaways so far for me have been that the truck no longer shifts lazily and bumps in and out of AFM around 35-40 on hilly back roads (where I spend most of my drive time) and I am able to use cruise control... on the 4600 mile drive back home the truck held speed well without constant gear hunting and I am very happy with the outcome. Before I would put on cruise around 70 mph and it would shift and cycle out of AFM so much I would get annoyed.

Overall if you're on the fence I would push you towards it... it makes an already well set up vehicle much more enjoyable to drive!

Last edited:

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
I finally got around to getting my 2016 Suburban tuned this summer, just in time to drive from Healy, Alaska to North Georgia. The Suburban has paid it's Alaska dues and will now live out it's days in a much kinder environment in the southeast.

Here's the rundown on the current modifications, tune, and my experience for those that are on the fence or doing research. My Suburban is not heavily modified and I doubt it will ever see a drag strip, the tune for me "cleans up" some factory cushion and makes the vehicle much more enjoyable to drive... my non-car minded wife event noticed and appreciated the differences.

I purchased an Autocal V3 tune, discussed via email my wants and needs and filled out the online questionnaire. I did have to clarify something when downloading the new EFI Live software and scanning the initial data, they were quick to respond via email which was great. I chose an 89 octane tune since I don't always have premium available in remote areas, now that I am back in civilization I may hit them up for a retune for 93... time will tell.

I have an aFe intake and Corsa Sport cat back which have both been on for the last few years. I also had gotten in the habit of driving in M5 to eliminate the annoying AFM back and forth on low MPH back roads which are what I drive on most. The truck has over 120k miles on it and has done very well in a very extreme environment.

Now on to the tune, this is my third BB tune (03 Silverado via mail, 06 Sierra in person event) and I have always enjoyed the drivability improvements. Specific to my 2016 5.3/6L80E/3.08 4x4, the throttle response is much better, the transmission shifts like it "should", I had AFM turned off under 72 mph, and the economy improved quite a bit. The two best takeaways so far for me have been that the truck no longer shifts lazily and bumps in and out of AFM around 35-40 on hilly back roads (where I spend most of my drive time) and I am able to use cruise control... on the 4600 mile drive back home the truck held speed well without constant gear hunting and I am very happy with the outcome. Before I would put on cruise around 70 mph and it would shift and cycle out of AFM so much I would get annoyed.

Overall if you're on the fence I would push you towards it... it makes an already well set up vehicle much more enjoyable to drive!
Great write up. I plan on getting the same setup, BB tune, Corsa exhaust and AFE Intake.

This might be a dumb question but, Did they do anything in the tune for the Exhaust and Intake? I'v heard before that the vehicle is set for stock exhaust and intake so when you add an aftermarket variant the vehicle still thinks it's stock. Is that true or just fake news?

OP
OP
cheyenne383

cheyenne383

Far North Lurker
Reaction score
Great write up. I plan on getting the same setup, BB tune, Corsa exhaust and AFE Intake.

This might be a dumb question but, Did they do anything in the tune for the Exhaust and Intake? I'v heard before that the vehicle is set for stock exhaust and intake so when you add an aftermarket variant the vehicle still thinks it's stock. Is that true or just fake news?

Not a dumb question at all... I don't know 100% to be honest. The way I have always prepared for the tune is get all maintenance up to date (all 3 vehicles I've had done we're used) and install any short term mods I have planned. That way they can maximize everything and it all works together, makes the most since to me anyway.

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all... I don't know 100% to be honest. The way I have always prepared for the tune is get all maintenance up to date (all 3 vehicles I've had done we're used) and install any short term mods I have planned. That way they can maximize everything and it all works together, makes the most since to me anyway.
Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind before getting the tune.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here's the rundown on the current modifications, tune, and my experience for those that are on the fence or doing research. My Suburban is not heavily modified and I doubt it will ever see a drag strip, the tune for me "cleans up" some factory cushion and makes the vehicle much more enjoyable to drive... my non-car minded wife even noticed and appreciated the differences.

Great review Michael, thank you so much for taking the time to do that. We really appreciate your business and putting the word out there for others thinking about getting a tune. Thanks again!