Couple Questions for Experienced Audiophiles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drivend

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I put an MB Quart RLP204 in the factory sub enclosure. I am a little less then pleased with the performance. It's a dual voice coil sub. I bridged the amp and ran the 2 coils series. Figured this would be the best way to run them in phase. But maybe I'm wrong. It was a PITA to get one 12ga wire in that box w/ the factory gromet. Two would be impossible, without getting the drill out at least). Mainly, I was wondering what the air space of the factory box is? This speaker requires .25-.5 cu.ft. of space. I saw the answer to this question in one of these thread, but I can't find it again. It does pretty decent on hip hop type fluttering bass, but doesn't give a very good thump for my alt/rock(usually a sign of too much air space, from what I recall). I've never messed with dual voice coil subs, so if anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Dan.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the recommended air space vs. what you actually have in the factory spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drivend

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That was the question. I did a rough calc on the factory enclosure and came up with like .35 cuft, not counting the displacement of the speaker. I'm about to go load it up with polyfill and see if it helps.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't really say what I'm thinking right now. What do the ohm load requirements look like? Are you running this off the stock amp? Can whichever amp you're using handle running it parallel? If so, I would do that (personally).

UBILLN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put an MB Quart RLP204 in the factory sub enclosure. I am a little less then pleased with the performance. It's a dual voice coil sub. I bridged the amp and ran the 2 coils series. Figured this would be the best way to run them in phase. But maybe I'm wrong.

a dual 4ohm sub ran in series ends up with a 8ohm rating, running it in parallel gets you 2 ohms... neither good for the OEM amp.

the OEM sub is more efficient so it uses less power(with a lower watt capability too). If you put a 400 watt sub in to replace the OEM one, it is not going to be louder running off the OEM amp.

If your running an aftermarket you need to check and see if its 2ohm stable and if so run the coils parallel for maximum power.