Climate and Light sensitivity issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it make sense that in auto mode at 73 Degrees and 40-degree ambient temp, that the AC would show being engaged? Any reason for the AC to be running at 40 deg?

2ndly, when in auto it seems to have to get very dark for my headlights to automatically switch on. Most other traffics lights have been on for a half hour and mine still haven't come on yet. It eventually does, but it has to be on the edge of darkness...Is this adjustable?

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the AC is actually running? It’s normal for the AC light to be illuminated but not actually engaging the compressor. My 2017 Acadia did the same thing as my 21 Tahoe where in Auto mode the AC indicator is illuminated.

I have noticed the same thing regarding the headlights. Keep in mind you do have the daytime running LED lights in the front so others should see you fine even though the headlights themselves are not on.

OP
OP
Stbentoak

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if its illuminated I have to assume that it is or can engage at will. I just don't see the point at that temp and there is no reason to drag on the fuel economy. But I can't confirm its actually running...

As far as the lights go , I'm more concerned with getting rear ended at high speeds on interstates or if we are in traffic etc...
Pretty dark back there otherwise....

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t find it in the manual about the AC, but generally it doesn’t engage below a certain temperature…thought it was 46 degrees or close to that.

All I could spot in the manual is the AC light will be illuminated even below freezing. It shouldn’t run the compressor though at that temperature.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May surprise you to know vehicles have worked this way for years, esp on defrost. It is to remove humidity and improve defrost performance. There is probably a low ambient temp, probably around freezing, where the AC should not run. Net, it’s normal, my 2013 did it too.

OP
OP
Stbentoak

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am aware of that, but it’s not on defrost…
I realize that it MAY not be running….but just seeing it illuminate at 40 deg had me wondering…

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One could always take a peak under the hood and see if the compressor is spinning I think.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's been the default for years now with automatic temp control. My 09 G8 did the same thing. Winter months i just hit the AC button and then turn it on again in the spring.

OP
OP
Stbentoak

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's been the default for years now with automatic temp control. My 09 G8 did the same thing. Winter months i just hit the AC button and then turn it on again in the spring.
If it’s in auto, the next time you start it, AC light is back on next cycle….

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the AC is actually running? It’s normal for the AC light to be illuminated but not actually engaging the compressor. My 2017 Acadia did the same thing as my 21 Tahoe where in Auto mode the AC indicator is illuminated.
It was the same on my '16 Silverado and '19 Yukon, it was confusing for me too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts