CarPlay - 2021 Tahoe - How to change from one iPhone to Another

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uptown_nyc

Reaction score
I was wondering whether anyone has any experience changing which iPhone is linked to CarPlay in the 2021 head unit when both phones are in the vehicle. My wife and I both drive our 2021 Tahoe. She's the primary driver, so her phone is configured as the priority device, but we've struggled to figure out how to change the active device when I'm driving and want to use my content on the head-unit. It seems like the vehicle is unwilling to disconnect from her device, and I haven't figured out an easy straight-forward way to change the active iPhone when we're both in the car with our phones and the vehicle has already paired to hers. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Ideally, it'd be great if the active key fob (and driver profile) also directed the vehicle which iPhone to use for CarPlay connectivity, but I don't believe this works this way unless it's supposed to and we're just doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether anyone has any experience changing which iPhone is linked to CarPlay in the 2021 head unit when both phones are in the vehicle. My wife and I both drive our 2021 Tahoe. She's the primary driver, so her phone is configured as the priority device, but we've struggled to figure out how to change the active device when I'm driving and want to use my content on the head-unit. It seems like the vehicle is unwilling to disconnect from her device, and I haven't figured out an easy straight-forward way to change the active iPhone when we're both in the car with our phones and the vehicle has already paired to hers. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Ideally, it'd be great if the active key fob (and driver profile) also directed the vehicle which iPhone to use for CarPlay connectivity, but I don't believe this works this way unless it's supposed to and we're just doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help.
Check out page 183 here:

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same happens to me and wifey. She’s got an android and I the iPhone and experienced the same thing. I think my phone is the primary but the other day I had her phone connected as I was doing the hack of mirroring her phone to the infotainment screen and she could not turn off BT when she got a call. My phone connected and was playing Spotify but her call kept going back to the head unit and my music stopped.

so I looked at the om link posted above and interesting so one has to manually switch from the first to second role to go around this I take it?

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same happens to me and wifey. She’s got an android and I the iPhone and experienced the same thing. I think my phone is the primary but the other day I had her phone connected as I was doing the hack of mirroring her phone to the infotainment screen and she could not turn off BT when she got a call. My phone connected and was playing Spotify but her call kept going back to the head unit and my music stopped.

so I looked at the om link posted above and interesting so one has to manually switch from the first to second role to go around this I take it?
The design is for two phones to be connected at same time. One is the primary and has control via carplay/android auto. The secondary device can only receive phone calls over BT to the vehicle.

Thought that was a neat feature.

But whichever phone connects first is primary. Not sure if there is a way to quickly select which phone to connect first or if it goes off of which phone was paired first. I’m the only driver for mine so I haven’t had to deal with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9