CARGO AREA - Storage Bins/Nets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread, as I'm still amazed that in a vehicle as big as the Tahoe the rear storage options are pretty much none.

What's behind the passenger side side panels? Could something be stored in there?

We have a cargo net, which I use at times, but would like to store a few tools, an extra serpentine belt, tie down straps etc. I have a small bin back there, but don't like that it slides around. Thanks!

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's behind the passenger side side panels? Could something be stored in there?

If you have rear air that's where the HVAC equipment is.

Very interested in this topic, also.
In our Avalanches, we used "Bedslides". Either, manufactured or homemade. I made my own from plywood and wheels. I was considering adapting it to my Denali, for R/C plane equipment, etc.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a suburban. I removed my factory sub. The tool kit, jumper cables, air pump, and other things I don't need often go in there. First aid kit and smaller items go in compartment on top. Self defense items go under the front cup holder.

woytovich

Reaction score
Bumping this thread again.

I just got my 2003 Yukon XL and was poking around in the rear side panels. it seems the driver's side has lots of room that could be used as storage. I am thinking of cutting out the bottom of the part with the lid to be able to access the space underneath. The front half, where the jack is and in front of that, could be useful also.

I might eventually go so far as to build a replacement side panel with access doors and maybe some power outlets, area lights and maybe storage cubbies... I intend to build the rear area into a sleeping area for solo camping/nights on the road.

southboundchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread again.

I just got my 2003 Yukon XL and was poking around in the rear side panels. it seems the driver's side has lots of room that could be used as storage. I am thinking of cutting out the bottom of the part with the lid to be able to access the space underneath. The front half, where the jack is and in front of that, could be useful also.

I might eventually go so far as to build a replacement side panel with access doors and maybe some power outlets, area lights and maybe storage cubbies... I intend to build the rear area into a sleeping area for solo camping/nights on the road.

Post some pix when you do i like the sound of your idea

woytovich

Reaction score
Well I cut into the rear driver's side cargo box today.

I decided to just cut out the bottom of the existing storage box (with the lid) Now I have easy access to all of that empty space. I am CONSIDERING replacing the 2 trays in the forward part of that side panel with a lid of some sort so I can use that inside space also.

Here's what it looks like, I still need to file the edges to clean it up some... Closed, open and a pic of what I removed.

Attachments

• 2015-03-21 16.20.14.jpg
    2015-03-21 16.20.14.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 2015-03-21 16.22.54.jpg
    2015-03-21 16.22.54.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2015-03-21 16.27.56.jpg
    2015-03-21 16.27.56.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 28