Can my VIN be wrong???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twist925

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since I got my 09 Yukon XL SLT I've had issues with decoding my VIN. SO when I put it into any parts site it doesn't recognize it. When I had to get insurance and give them the VIN they can't pull up a vehicle. So one day I was looking at my LMC Truck catalog and was using the VIN decoder in the front to break down the VIN and noticed something. My truck is very much a SLT, It's loaded to where I'm pretty sure the only other option was to go to a Denali (it also has the SLT RPO code so.....). When I started to decode the VIN for my truck the 6th spot is for the series, which for my truck should be a 3 if I can go by LMC truck's decoder. However the number in my VIN for the 6th spot is a 1 which indicates, again according to LMC, that it is a base model work truck or LS trim. So is LMC wrong and I'm going off bad information OR is my VIN wrong and that could be why I can never decode it?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird. What does a dealership say? Did you buy it used, and if so, from where?

OP
OP
Twist925

Twist925

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Weird. What does a dealership say? Did you buy it used, and if so, from where?
I bought it from a used car dealer at the end of 2019 with about 80k miles on it. I never really paid attention to it until I tried to use a tuner and there was apparently a tune already on it that was locked. So I was looking at getting a new PCM and having it programmed but now I'm worried that there would be in issue. I haven't contacted a GM dealer but in talking with the person that does all the programing for our shop he said there could be an issue if the vin isn't decoding properly.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you got a swapped Vin vehicle. Or a cloned Vin of some sort. A GM dealer will probabl be the best place to check. They plug into the OBD2 port and pull off a report. Would be interesting to see. Keep us posted

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
OP…… it very possible this is as claimed by others a revin, or clone. Good thieves will make minor alterations to a VIN so that it appears correct in the first 6 characters, keeps the check digit correct for year of vehicle, and has altered last 6 characters which may or may not correspond to an actual vehicle.

They counterfeit documents to match and register the vehicle to obtain good documents. Then trade or sell the vehicle for profit sticking you with the hot potato and more than likely the loss of vehicle and money.

OP
OP
Twist925

Twist925

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I checked the VIN on the ECU and it matches the vin plate and the door sticker. The sticker looks like it's been on there for a long time and the vin plate looks like it's never been touched. I'll have to call a dealership and see if they can check into the differences for me. Like I said, it hasn't been a big deal until I wanted to replace the ECU and have it programmed. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
So I checked the VIN on the ECU and it matches the vin plate and the door sticker. The sticker looks like it's been on there for a long time and the vin plate looks like it's never been touched. I'll have to call a dealership and see if they can check into the differences for me. Like I said, it hasn't been a big deal until I wanted to replace the ECU and have it programmed. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
If you PM me the VIN, I can put it through Carfax and tell you what comes back. If you haven’t already gotten that info.

Glad that the ECM, door sticker and windshield match. That’s a headache you don’t need.