buying 23 suburban LS diesel maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ingeinge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am going to check out a new Suburban tomorrow, lowest trim (LS), diesel. Is there any reason to not get it, assuming I can get it for around MSRP? I like the Z71 but they are impossible to find. Can I just put some AT tires on it and good to go? This one has the 20 inch wheel option already applied. I am willing to replace the wheels too with 18 or 17 or whatever is more reasonable if needed.

I'm coming from 25 years of owning gas Z71 Silverados so this will be quite a change. I have always wanted a Suburban though. I am going to either just put all the seats flat and throw a full size mattress back there or maybe take the seats out and build a platform. The back seats will probably never be used.

I spend a lot of time in the snow in Tahoe in the winter. In summer I tow a 3500 lb boat 3-4 days a week about half an hour each way to the water.

If I don't get this I am also looking at maybe a Ford Expedition Max. $10k more for heated/cooled seats and a way nicer screen/dash and leather. Not as nice looking as the Suburban.

Neither one has the good cruise control or auto hold or any good tech really. Kind of annoying since all the foreign cars have all that on every trim.

Just looking for any input you guys might have. Thanks.

Nima

Reaction score
Not happy with my 21 Tahoe diesel
Smelly and the gas consumption is not as good as advertised
It is great only on highway
I am getting 12.5L/100km combined
I was expecting better
But main concern is the Tahoe became too noisy when it is idealing and dealer doesn’t do anything about it

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 23 yukon diesel and have been happy with it. Get about 22mpg in the city and 32 on the highway. Super smooth and quiet. The smell that was refereed is usually during regen. Most don't know how these operate so generally dissatisfaction stems from bad service departments or ignorance.

It does really well and my camper doesn't really reduce my fuel consumption that much.

I will say tho you may want to get a more loaded one. As options help you keep a vehicle longer and enjoy it more. If you are happy with what it has no big deal.

Good luck !

OP
OP
I

Ingeinge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it is noisy or smelly I will lose my mind. Every diesel pickup I see around town is so loud and smoky and stinks, so I am not even sure why I am considering it. But I had read that it wasn't a big problem with this motor. Anyway my Silverado has 150k miles and feels like it is going to fall apart any minute so I just need something to get me by until new cars are more plentiful. Might as well try it out I guess and see what happens.

When you say it is knowing how they operate does that mean you need to do certain things to avoid these issues? Like one thing I am kind of worried about is normally I idle a lot when I car camp. That's extra bad for a diesel, right?

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is noisy or smelly I will lose my mind. Every diesel pickup I see around town is so loud and smoky and stinks, so I am not even sure why I am considering it. But I had read that it wasn't a big problem with this motor. Anyway my Silverado has 150k miles and feels like it is going to fall apart any minute so I just need something to get me by until new cars are more plentiful. Might as well try it out I guess and see what happens.

When you say it is knowing how they operate does that mean you need to do certain things to avoid these issues? Like one thing I am kind of worried about is normally I idle a lot when I car camp. That's extra bad for a diesel, right?
It can idle fine provided you drive it to clear it out after wards. The smell is from the regen that clears out the DPF so it gets HOT and burns off all the crud. This could be seen as a 'smell' but it's far from the smoky gross diesels the commercial beasts are. Most won't know it's a diesel by its characteristics.

Your advantages are better MPG, more torque down low, easier towing, longer range , and the 3.0 duramax doesn't suffer the issues that some gassers do. You also get a 5 year 100k powertrain warranty standard instead of 5 year 60k for gas.

OP
OP
I

Ingeinge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. Someone called and put a deposit and beat me to it. :( I will keep an eye out for another one.

One nice diesel benefit is that here in California it seems they don't have the vapor return on the diesel pumps. Filling my gas silverado is always a nightmare because the pump keeps shutting off. So tired of it.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Someone called and put a deposit and beat me to it. :( I will keep an eye out for another one.

One nice diesel benefit is that here in California it seems they don't have the vapor return on the diesel pumps. Filling my gas silverado is always a nightmare because the pump keeps shutting off. So tired of it.
Yup sounds about right. Very rare for a diesel gm full size SUV to be sitting for any length of time. They don't make enough and there are enough people willing to scoop up what little is out there since they don't want to wait and order.

Hope you find one soon!

Jellyfrosh

Reaction score
This isn't the 1980s anymore. Diesels don't stink (unless you have an exhaust leak) and the 3.0L is so quiet I can't hear it under 2000 rpm from inside the vehicle.

I've owned 5 diesels now, ranging from 80s era IDIs to late 2000s early emissions engines, the 3.0L stomps all of them. I wouldn't even consider a gas engine with the push rod issues and 40k less warranty miles. Not to mention the terrible fuel economy.

Even if you bought a diesel and hated it they also hold their value better and sell easier than gassers.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Suburban or Yukon XL with the 3.0 is gold right now and a near impossible find. I am surprised it lasted 5 minutes. Anyone not getting good fuel mileage with a 3.0 either has a problem with their truck, or are driving like a gas vehicle lowering its fuel mileage. Have to be easy on the pedal with a diesel. The great fuel mileage is the biggest compliment of every reviewer or owner. Its fantastic. I get 24 mpg without trying, and 30 trying. My prior gas trucks 5.3 and 6.2 were 13-15 mpg average.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not happy with my 21 Tahoe diesel
Smelly and the gas consumption is not as good as advertised
It is great only on highway
I am getting 12.5L/100km combined
I was expecting better
But main concern is the Tahoe became too noisy when it is idealing and dealer doesn’t do anything about it
If you are getting exhaust smell in the cabin take it to the dealer. There are multiple notices concerning leaks; my wife's has been at the dealer awhile waiting on a new turbo assembly.

Concerning the fuel economy. Running #2 or blend the wife's rig does better then 20mpg in town and upper twenties on the highway. Running straight #1 it drops a lot, like 13mpg in town and 16mpg on the highway. The drop seems to be consistent (like tank over tank when using #1; then back to normal with #2).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011