Blend door actuator question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukon06

Reaction score
2006 yukon.
Low heat output, lukewarm in cool weather but weather like we're having here in ny now means im freezing inside my truck like I was yesterday.

I se the actuator is the most common issue and looks like an easy replacement and the part is 30.00 on amazon. I know I should be thinking oem but money is so tight right now i cant even afford the 30.00 amazon part. I lost my business and havent worked for about a year and half because of heart issues.
That said, I read somewhere on the internet of someone getting to it and manually opening or something like that so heat was at full output. I dont know if he was talking about the same thing but thought id ask here if that is possible or any way to fix, even temporarily, the existing piece so I can have some heat?

Thanks guys
Happy Holidays and be safe

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2006 yukon.
Low heat output, lukewarm in cool weather but weather like we're having here in ny now means im freezing inside my truck like I was yesterday.

I se the actuator is the most common issue and looks like an easy replacement and the part is 30.00 on amazon. I know I should be thinking oem but money is so tight right now i cant even afford the 30.00 amazon part. I lost my business and havent worked for about a year and half because of heart issues.
That said, I read somewhere on the internet of someone getting to it and manually opening or something like that so heat was at full output. I dont know if he was talking about the same thing but thought id ask here if that is possible or any way to fix, even temporarily, the existing piece so I can have some heat?

Thanks guys
Happy Holidays and be safe
yes it's possible, if it is getting stuck part way you can try turning it the rest of the way and then unplug it, then it will just stay on heat until you change it

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
Ok so i have no idea what it looks like until i get to it...ill get to it but what i mean is will i be able to tell how to turn it like you said, and in the proper direction?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will need a 7mm socket to get the kickpanel off under the glove box, the bolt that is closer to the "hump" is a real pita you will need a 1/4" 7mm deep socket, usually you can remove the other 2 and kind of pull the panel down and towards you and that may give you enough room to get in there.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it only turns forward or reverse and I am not sure which way is heat if you look at it and turn the hvac control back and forth you will be able to see which way it needs to go for full heat. the center part is notched and there are indicator lines on the outer plastic, a big flathead should turn it, I wouldn't force it to hard it might just break

Reaction score
Can you hear it moving when you change the setting? Do like stated above removing the bottom panel/cover and watching the actuator when changing the setting from hot to cold.

It could also be the heater core is partly blocked/clogged and doing a back flush with a hose connected to it would be required.

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you...hoping its just the actuator its the easier fix for me...
Ill update once I get in to it....its 14 degrees here i dont want to be doing it but i have to bite the bullet for the greater good lol...
I plan on getting in the recliner and watching some games first

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
by the way to answer the questioj i missed, no i dont hear it moving but i dont have the dial controls i have the pushbutton up/down digital controls if that makes a difference

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to check the obvious...
Coolant level is good?
Are both hoses the the heater core hot (one very hot and the other just a little less hot)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518