Best brake upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Yukon needs brakes bad. I'm seriously considering C6 Z06/GRANDSPORT calipers and 2 piece 15" front rotors and 14" rears but 22" wheels are required I believe. I've also seen GMT900 components used as an upgrade. If Brembo calipers from 5th and 6th Gen Camaro is possible please share all the info. Also I'm calling SSBC to see what they offer and how small of a wheel you can run. My goal is to make a fullsize Trailblazer SS. A fullsize SUV that stops extremely short, runs in the 13s in the quarter, handles like a vehicle it's shouldn't be able too. Thank you and Merry Christmas

Lizard944

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Yulkon Denali and just went with AC Delco Coated rotors and AC Delco pads. Make sure you have good rubber brake hoses and a good flush on the brake fluid to get all bubbles out. I have a very firm pedal and can stop crazy fast. Can't imagine the need for any caliper upgrade.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres the original thread/GB on the custom made bracket to run the brakes.
http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/64830-z06-brake-conversion/
I'll post it up if I see it, and I don't remember where, but I have recently seen someone selling this bracket on one of these forums.

Baer & SSBC also make larger brakes that will work. If you are doing this, do hydroboost too. Sounds like you want to jump right past the NNBS upgrade, (just making sure you are aware of it; a hair bigger rotors, but they are thicker to cool better with a two piston caliper instead of 1, and a bigger pad).

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Yukon needs brakes bad. I'm seriously considering C6 Z06/GRANDSPORT calipers and 2 piece 15" front rotors and 14" rears but 22" wheels are required I believe. I've also seen GMT900 components used as an upgrade. If Brembo calipers from 5th and 6th Gen Camaro is possible please share all the info. Also I'm calling SSBC to see what they offer and how small of a wheel you can run. My goal is to make a fullsize Trailblazer SS. A fullsize SUV that stops extremely short, runs in the 13s in the quarter, handles like a vehicle it's shouldn't be able too. Thank you and Merry Christmas

Found it..
https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/texas-193/rudy’s-bracket-c6-z06-caliper-553992/

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of threads about this, but no one has actually executed it. The custom brackets are the hard parts to make work and you should be able to run the Zo6 rotors with minimum 20" wheels. Not sure about the camaro rotors since the brackets were made specially for the z06 caliper. The wheel type/offset will make a difference as well. Not getting my hopes up, but would like to see someone complete this mod. This would be the next step for me. I had similar goals to basically make a factory freak truck..the best of everything GM made in one truck...that would mean a lsa blower, sub 13 sec truck and this upgrade..even though Wilwoods may be easier to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the gmt900 upgrade. Interestingly the "gmt900" fronts also cross reference to 05-06 1500 trucks w/ rear drum brakes... I didn't know that until I was looking at applications charts.

So far I'm super happy!! I used all Raybestos including their brand new optical calipers (lifetime warranty).

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did the gmt900 upgrade. Interestingly the "gmt900" fronts also cross reference to 05-06 1500 trucks w/ rear drum brakes... I didn't know that until I was looking at applications charts.

So far I'm super happy!! I used all Raybestos including their brand new optical calipers (lifetime warranty).
Photos? We are curious

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I spent a night going over this recently. When I tried to save it there was a glitch and I lost pages of the complete information on this. (Was going to be the ultimate complete stickie on this). I plan on doing it again, but here's what I have so far..

2005-2006 SILVERADO/SIERRA 1500 EXCLUDING: Hybrid, SS, HD, & rear disc; Had the larger 13" rotors. (If it had the larger 13" rotors up front, it had rear drum).
------2007 SILVERADO/SIERRA 1500 Had the same 13" rotors but had the same earlier pad # as 05-06 (not sure if thats classic only).
ALL 2007 1500 Full size, ( :Silverado, Sierra, Avalanche, Escalade, Yukon, Tahoe, suburban) Had a different caliper and pad (part number) than the 2008-up. Yet, they all used the same 13" rotor. I don't know what the difference is in caliper, or pad, or if both will work or not for the upgrade.

- YEARS ---- PAD # ------ MODEL ------------------------ YEARS -------- PAD # --
2005-2007 - D1092 - SILVERADO/SIERRA 1500 -------- 2008-2014+ -- D1363
------ 2007 - D1092 - AVALANCHE 1500 ----------------- 2008-2013 --- D1363
------ 2007 - D1092 - ESCALADE (EXCL EXT & ESV) ---- 2008-2015+ -- D1363
------ 2007 - D1092 - ESCALADE (ONLY EXT & ESV) ---- 2008-2014 --- D1363
------ 2007 - D1092 - SUBURBAN 1500 ------------------- 2008-2015+ - D1363
------ 2007 - D1092 - YUKON 1500 (INCL XL & HYBRID)- 2008-2015+ - D1363
------ 2007 - D1092 - TAHOE ------------------------------ 2008-2015+ - D1363
------------------------ EXPRESS VAN 1500 -----------------2009+ ------- D1363
------------------------ SAVANA G1500 ----------------------2010+ -------D1363

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Photos? We are curious
Photos of brake parts? What are you trying to differentiate/see? There is a sticky on the GMT900 brake upgrade that has lots of good photos. If you want photos of the Raybestos parts, give me a few weeks. I have new winter tires coming and I'll snap some pics when I have the wheel off. Otherwise you're getting a pic taken through the wheel. Sorry if I sound lazy, I'm not, I'm just really busy... I go to work all day, spending nearly 2 hrs on the road getting to/from work, work 10 hrs, then go home to newborn twins and 2 older kids (and a wife)... It was enough of a chore for me to get a single saturday to myself to do all the brakes, purge out all the old nasty fluid, and replace/bleed. FWIW, my brake fluild reservoir was SUPER nasty. I'm certain it was the original fluid in there and there was a lot of sediment on the walls. I pulled the reservoir off and cleaned it out the best I could and I bled the brakes until I got clean, clear fluid at each wheels. I bought a gallon of new fluild and was left with about a quart...

I spent a night going over this recently. When I tried to save it there was a glitch and I lost pages of the complete information on this. (Was going to be the ultimate complete stickie on this). I plan on doing it again, but here's what I have so far..

2005-2006 SILVERADO/SIERRA 1500 EXCLUDING: Hybrid, SS, HD, & rear disc; Had the larger 13" rotors. (If it had the larger 13" rotors up front, it had rear drum).
------2007 SILVERADO/SIERRA 1500 Had the same 13" rotors but had the same earlier pad # as 05-06 (not sure if thats classic only).
ALL 2007 1500 Full size, ( :Silverado, Sierra, Avalanche, Escalade, Yukon, Tahoe, suburban) Had a different caliper and pad (part number) than the 2008-up. Yet, they all used the same 13" rotor. I don't know what the difference is in caliper, or pad, or if both will work or not for the upgrade.

- YEARS ---- PAD # ------ MODEL ------------------------ YEARS -------- PAD # --
2005-2007 - D1092 - SILVERADO/SIERRA 1500 -------- 2008-2014+ -- D1363
------ 2007 - D1092 - AVALANCHE 1500 ----------------- 2008-2013 --- D1363
------ 2007 - D1092 - ESCALADE (EXCL EXT & ESV) ---- 2008-2015+ -- D1363
------ 2007 - D1092 - ESCALADE (ONLY EXT & ESV) ---- 2008-2014 --- D1363
------ 2007 - D1092 - SUBURBAN 1500 ------------------- 2008-2015+ - D1363
------ 2007 - D1092 - YUKON 1500 (INCL XL & HYBRID)- 2008-2015+ - D1363
------ 2007 - D1092 - TAHOE ------------------------------ 2008-2015+ - D1363
------------------------ EXPRESS VAN 1500 -----------------2009+ ------- D1363
------------------------ SAVANA G1500 ----------------------2010+ -------D1363
As described to me by a Raybestos engineer, the only difference going from those earlier brakes to the later brakes (at least in the Raybestos products) is that the drag-reduction springs for one version was a separate spring and the drag reduction spring in the others is part of the stainless slide clips that are replaceable (are those the abutment clips?).

I also seem to recall discussing with him that one caliper required a special pad that actually engages the caliper piston in a certain way, maybe a retaining clip the goes inside the piston?

I have the 1363 pads and the application chart said they would fit the 05-06 Sierra... but your chart says opposite so I'm not sure anymore. I know the Raybestos engineer said either brake setup will work for my application but the pads have to the right pads for the caliper I have. Since I was buying all-new parts I just bought all new parts that were compatible.

The specific parts numbers I bought are:
FRC11713N Front Right caliper
FRC11714N Front Left caliper
Raybestos 580279FZN Rust Prevention Premium Vented Rotors
EHT1363H Enhanced Hybrid Technology pads (I really like Akebono ProACT pads but had trouble finding them for the rears on my Yukon so I started looking around. Over on BITOG there was a big discussion about Raybestos new EHT pads because better than the ProACT in almost every category, especially when paired with Raybestos premium rotors. So I decided to give them a try.)
H6012 rear drag reduction springs
H6025 front drag reduction springs
FRC11169N Rear Left caliper
FRC11170N Rear Right caliper
EHT834H rear brake pads

Last edited:

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Photos of brake parts? What are you trying to differentiate/see? There is a sticky on the GMT900 brake upgrade that has lots of good photos. If you want photos of the Raybestos parts, give me a few weeks. I have new winter tires coming and I'll snap some pics when I have the wheel off. Otherwise you're getting a pic taken through the wheel. Sorry if I sound lazy, I'm not, I'm just really busy... I go to work all day, spending nearly 2 hrs on the road getting to/from work, work 10 hrs, then go home to newborn twins and 2 older kids (and a wife)... It was enough of a chore for me to get a single saturday to myself to do all the brakes, purge out all the old nasty fluid, and replace/bleed. FWIW, my brake fluild reservoir was SUPER nasty. I'm certain it was the original fluid in there and there was a lot of sediment on the walls. I pulled the reservoir off and cleaned it out the best I could and I bled the brakes until I got clean, clear fluid at each wheels. I bought a gallon of new fluild and was left with about a quart...

As described to me by a Raybestos engineer, the only difference going from those earlier brakes to the later brakes (at least in the Raybestos products) is that the drag-reduction springs for one version was a separate spring and the drag reduction spring in the others is part of the stainless slide clips that are replaceable (are those the abutment clips?).

I also seem to recall discussing with him that one caliper required a special pad that actually engages the caliper piston in a certain way, maybe a retaining clip the goes inside the piston?

I have the 1363 pads and the application chart said they would fit the 05-06 Sierra... but your chart says opposite so I'm not sure anymore. I know the Raybestos engineer said either brake setup will work for my application but the pads have to the right pads for the caliper I have. Since I was buying all-new parts I just bought all new parts that were compatible.

The specific parts numbers I bought are:
FRC11713N Front Right caliper
FRC11714N Front Left caliper
Raybestos 580279FZN Rust Prevention Premium Vented Rotors
EHT1363H Enhanced Hybrid Technology pads (I really like Akebono ProACT pads but had trouble finding them for the rears on my Yukon so I started looking around. Over on BITOG there was a big discussion about Raybestos new EHT pads because better than the ProACT in almost every category, especially when paired with Raybestos premium rotors. So I decided to give them a try.)
H6012 rear drag reduction springs
H6025 front drag reduction springs
FRC11169N Rear Left caliper
FRC11170N Rear Right caliper
EHT834H rear brake pads

I appreciate that you think I am that knowledgeable, but I have no frickin clue if that's true or even know what half of what you said is. I'll take your word that both work as long as the pads match the calipers. (That was something I have not read in any of the NNBS brake upgrade threads). I have to search more, but I think I can find the specs on the pad size and see if there is any difference