Battery hold down bolt snapped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can rent, buy or borrow drills, drill bits and taps. If you are not mechanically inclined, then have it done. I would bet after so much time in a "salt on the roads" state, to try and replace tray will likely be a PITA.
Yes - replacing the tray I think is a no go. Saw a video and a couple of the bolts are in "take the truck apart to get to these" locations. Plus the rust...

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a nut welded to the underside of the tray. That's where the bolt sheared off. Can't replace that with home depot unless I drill out the entire thing and then have something to fill that hole (some big fender washers??).

View attachment 406075
I understand that. If you are able to at least drill the bolt out of the welded nut, forget the thread tapping and install a nut and bolt. Over the original welded nut. That will give the battery tray some sort of strength leaving the welded nut in place like a spacer.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until I get the time and tools (and weather!) to do any of this could I use a ratchet strap or something? Is that ill advised?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM