Battery hold down bolt snapped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was pulling the battery to get to the bulb and the hold down bolt was so rusted it snapped on me. I just replaced the battery a couple of years ago with no issues so this was a surprise. What the heck can I do?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Heat and/or spark anywhere close to the battery is dicey. You can drill out if you have enough room. May have to go from the side or from underneath to cut off tray attaching bolts. Can you post some pics so we can see what is needed?

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you pull the battery tray and then run the bolt out with some vice grips after heating it up and/or soaking it
It snapped off even with the tray. Nothing to grab onto because there's a nut on the under side of the tray. I'm guessing the right way to do it would be to try and drill the bolt out but hoping there's an easier way? Right now the battery is held down with a bunch of zip ties

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat and/or spark anywhere close to the battery is dicey. You can drill out if you have enough room. May have to go from the side or from underneath to cut off tray attaching bolts. Can you post some pics so we can see what is needed?
Didn't grab a pic because I was so disgusted but the bolt is sheared off right even with the tray. (I'll try and get some later). A replacement tray itself isn't very expensive but at just shy of 300K miles and over 25 years of living in Michigan, I worry about what would happen trying to get it out, much less the ability to even get to it to get it out.

Also wondering if one of those "universal battery clamp down" things might work, although there's not a lot of extra room on the tray but maybe if I drilled a hole in the tray...?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ratchet strap or bungee cord? :anitoof:

Grind what is left flat and smooth, center punch and start drilling. Start with a smaller bit and work your way up. Then get stainless steel nylock nut and bolt from Home Depot to replace it. Don't break the drill bit off or your in real trouble.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ratchet strap or bungee cord? :anitoof:

Grind what is left flat and smooth, center punch and start drilling. Start with a smaller bit and work your way up. Then get stainless steel nylock nut and bolt from Home Depot to replace it. Don't break the drill bit off or your in real trouble.
There's a nut welded to the underside of the tray. That's where the bolt sheared off. Can't replace that with home depot unless I drill out the entire thing and then have something to fill that hole (some big fender washers??).

1692050976467.png

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the bolt broke off but the battery still came out? That was not made clear earlier. No battery in the way. Drill the damn thing out, use the correct size tap and run a new bolt in there. You appear to be over thinking it. Unless I missed something.
I was just wondering if there was an easier way. I've never drilled a bolt out like that and don't have a tap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts