Backup camera failure w/radio coming on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HanlonsRazor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

I discovered this forum when troubleshooting the cam phasor/low hot oil pressure stalling issue on my '07 Escalade since there seems to be more info on Yukons and Tahoes with this issue. Followed the suggested 5W-15 oil and ECU VVT fix and it worked, so thanks to everyone who posted over in that thread and others.

In nearly 260k miles, my electronics have always been flawless. Just recently though, when I put the car into reverse, the backup camera screen said "Service rear vision system" and something about a "VIN Missing", and then when I put it into drive my radio turns on (always set to 87.9FM). I also noticed that both of my heated seats went out at the same time.

I replaced the 10a rear camera fuse (#43 was blown), but the new fuse immediately blew. For testing, I tried a 20a fuse and that also blew immediately. So I assume I need to hunt down a short.

The connector at the rear hatch seemed the low-hanging fruit, but I can't see anything amiss there. I read something about a module under the passenger seat, but I have no idea how to monkey with that.

Looking to see if anyone has experienced this identical issue and may know a fix, or if this will simply be tracing down every wire from the camera to the fuse box, essentially...or just doing some aftermarket backup camera if fixing the OEM one in the dash is just too expensive.

Last edited:

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I discovered this forum when troubleshooting the cam phasor/low hot oil pressure stalling issue on my '07 Escalade since there seems to be more info on Yukons and Tahoes with this issue. Followed the suggested 5W-15 oil and ECU VVT fix and it worked, so thanks to everyone who posted over in that thread and others.

In nearly 260k miles, my electronics have always been flawless. Just recently though, when I put the car into reverse, the backup camera screen said "Service rear vision system" and something about a "VIN Missing", and then when I put it into drive my radio turns on (always set to 87.9FM). I also noticed that both of my heated seats went out at the same time.

I replaced the 10a rear camera fuse (#43 was blown), but the new fuse immediately blew. For testing, I tried a 20a fuse and that also blew immediately. So I assume I need to hunt down a short.

The connector at the rear hatch seemed the low-hanging fruit, but I can't see anything amiss there. I read something about a module under the passenger seat, but I have no idea how to monkey with that.

Looking to see if anyone has experienced this identical issue and may know a fix, or if this will simply be tracing down every wire from the camera to the fuse box, essentially...or just doing some aftermarket backup camera if fixing the OEM one in the dash is just too expensive.
Check the boot in the hatch hatches love chewing wiring harnesses