Autoride issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I wasn't able to find anything regarding this, so I apologize if it's there, but none of my search results have come up with anything.

I recently picked up an '05 Tahoe with Autoride suspension. Had other problems (P0300 code, pretty sure I have that sorted out now), but now I'm ready to get the Autoride working correctly. I haven't looked at it at all yet, as I have no idea where to start, that's where I'm hoping you guys come in. I have no idea what all is involved with this system, but it seems pretty straightforward, some sensors that kick a compressor on and off, and I'm guessing a basic manifold that controls which corner gets how much pressure. The "service ride quality" message flashes when started. I believe the TPMS data is not reaching the computer as well (not sure if this is related). I've never heard the compressor kick on during my several day trip from northern Nevada to north Texas, so where should I start diagnosing this system? Does anybody have diagnostic steps for this system that I can use?

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Yukon. When I bought it the compressor was dead and the rear shocks' air bags were rotted out. At least on mine there is not separate left rear vs right rear pressures, they share the same line. Check your glovebox for RPO codes to see just what you have there. I think mine is Z55. I replaced the aforementioned parts with parts from Arnott as I wanted to retain the factory system. Many folks modify theirs and replace with less expensive options.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
normal operation is for the air pump to activate each time you cycle the key to run, you will hear it if it is working, it is located up behind the drivers rear wheel, big square thing in a metal bracket (can't miss it), if the pump is not working then usually one of two things is occurring. either the pump has burnt out or the relief valve isn't working.
check the rear shocks you can reach up and feel them, they have a rubber bladder and hold air, if they are good they will have a little squeeze to them, if they are blown out they are flat with no squeeze and generally you can visibly see them blown out (rubber will be torn/ripped/blown out)
usually if the bladders are blown it caused the pump to run too long trying to inflate them and burned it out even though it has a cut off timer of 10 seconds it's just a lot of work for the pump.
first step is to look under there and see what is going on
aftermarket replacements are available, oem parts can be pricey but rockauto has good prices for either oem or aftermarket, such as the arnott brand.

Badwrench

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 175K 2006 6L Denali rear shock bladders are ripped and I haven't heard the compressor in years.
What are the downsides to replacing with this setup other that cost ?
upload_2020-9-13_9-19-42.png

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 175K 2006 6L Denali rear shock bladders are ripped and I haven't heard the compressor in years.
What are the downsides to replacing with this setup other that cost ?
View attachment 257459
Nothing wrong with either of those, both are good choices. Arnott has a lifetime warranty on their stuff though. Not sure what warranty those have.

Badwrench

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you guys, I'm still cost crunching and wondering if the autoride Z55 delete option is a better choice now.
Also will be doing a search on emissions to see my options there on maintenance- stay safe.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any idea on the Dorman compressor? I thought it was only a one year warranty but I could be wrong.
if you buy the dorman from a authorized dealer then it has lifetime, I went thru 2 arnott's and I am now on the dorman and it works fine (so far), the arnott also has lifetime from authorized dealers but after 2 fails I decided to try the dorman. the first arnott quit working each key cycle, the 2nd arnott developed a internal leak. both of those died in about a year each. the 1st arnott rockauto replaced it, the 2nd one they just refunded me upon return. then the Dorman I bought from o'rielly's local.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you buy the dorman from a authorized dealer then it has lifetime, I went thru 2 arnott's and I am now on the dorman and it works fine (so far), the arnott also has lifetime from authorized dealers but after 2 fails I decided to try the dorman. the first arnott quit working each key cycle, the 2nd arnott developed a internal leak. both of those died in about a year each. the 1st arnott rockauto replaced it, the 2nd one they just refunded me upon return. then the Dorman I bought from o'rielly's local.
My Arnott is going on 4 years now iirc. I bought it from Arnott along with the shocks back when you could get the Bilstein 2700’s. They don’t offer them anymore so I’m hoping they last forever lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas