Any muffler experts here? (Tone of Flowmaster 50 Big Block vs 70 Big Block II)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I’m wondering about the tone (not so much the loudness) of the Flowmaster 50 Big Block VS the 70 Big Block II

I know that the Flowmaster loudness scale corresponds to the model number (lower number = louder)

Yet, somehow the “quietest” Flowmaster (Big Block 50) has a lower number than the second to last (70 Big Block II).

These two mufflers have almost identical dimensions 5” x 28” x 12” (50 BB), and 5” x 28” x 10” (70 BB II)

So, the muffler deemed slightly louder is simply 2” narrower in diameter.

The interesting part is the interior… The slightly louder 70 BB II has two v-shaped “delta” baffles, whereas the “more quiet” 50 BB only has one v-shaped delta baffle inside.

Do those 2” extra inches in case diameter provide that much more sound deadening, that an entire baffle needed to be removed?

And, in a twist of fate… Does the more “quiet” 50 Big Block provide a lower/deeper tone, given the larger bore of the case?

IMG_8297.pngIMG_8296.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at these photos, I’m questioning whether the interior designs are accurate.

Either way, does anyone have any experience with either of these models?

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want the 2 in 2 out BB70. Smooth tone not to loud, slight drone at hwy. I hand it on a Avalnache 2500 w/ 8.1

Thanks a lot for the feedback.
I too don’t want it too loud at all, but would be cool to have a deep tone to it.

I’m wondering how similar the 50 BB may sound, give that it has one less delta baffle, and 2” extra in bore case diameter, which in theory should provide for a deeper tone.

You don’t have any video/sound clips by any chance, do you? (All the YT clips are meh)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mccubbinsjl