Any downside leaving OnStar in factory demo mode, the in-dash screen ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new '23 Suburban HC was delivered 6-weeks ago from an out of state dealer and OnStar was not activated/registered by the salesperson, my in-dash display is currently in demo mode and I've not registered this newest Suburban's OnStar, I've simply left it alone.

My in-dash screen will occasionally ask me whether I want to register now OR continue in Demo Mode so I press Demo Mode because I don't listen to radio and I don't need the in-dash navigation bad enough to pay OnStar a monthly fee.

So.. is there any downside to me not registering with OnStar and taking my in-dash screen out of demo mode, will my vehicle still receive critical updates digitally through its cellular system? Will the MyGM app be unavailable to me without first registering ?

Last edited:

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but guessing without an activated OnStar account, the My<GM BRAND> app will not function. The delivering dealer should have registered this for you...but yes, it is likely some of the "Function" of having it registered will be neutered w/ out you registering it. YOu don't have to pay OnStar after your free trial ends, just tell them when you register that you don't want the service past the free trial, and don't give them a CC number.

OP
OP
GoNoGo

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I prefer to not register this newer Suburban with OnStar and prefer to keep my in-dash screen in Demo mode.. actually I simply keep screen turned off all the time, black screen displaying time and temp only :thumbsup:

I'm somewhat concerned that my Burb won't receive any updates wirelessly, so any service bulletins (correct terminology ?) can only be installed by the Chevy dealer[s service dept.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go into the settings menu and manually check for updates. My guess is that if you can't get OTA updates, then you'll get a message when it checks for updates that you need to be registered, etc.

OP
OP
GoNoGo

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go into the settings menu and manually check for updates. My guess is that if you can't get OTA updates, then you'll get a message when it checks for updates that you need to be registered, etc.
Now that you mention it... it's logical that one item on the selling-dealer's Pre-Sales Check List would want the service dept to themselves check for newest updates before releasing the Suburban to the buyer (me).. and of course the in-dash unit would've been in demo-mode for that procedure.

Thanks,I'll give that a whirl :thumbsup:

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, even when there were known OTA updates "released," checking for "updates" on my ride only seems to find infotainment unit firmware updates, not the OTA vehicle updates that we really need for our rides...the DRL update for instance never was fetched by doing a check for updates...but it randomly popped up as an available vehicle update one day.

OP
OP
GoNoGo

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my February Suburban DRL's dim with headlights on, while my December Suburban's DRL's stay bright with headlights on. Been maybe a month since I last checked when parked directly in front of Dunkin Donuts glass windows.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new '23 Suburban HC was delivered 6-weeks ago from an out of state dealer and OnStar was not activated/registered by the salesperson, my in-dash display is currently in demo mode and I've not registered this newest Suburban's OnStar, I've simply left it alone.

My in-dash screen will occasionally ask me whether I want to register now OR continue in Demo Mode so I press Demo Mode because I don't listen to radio and I don't need the in-dash navigation bad enough to pay OnStar a monthly fee.

So.. is there any downside to me not registering with OnStar and taking my in-dash screen out of demo mode, will my vehicle still receive critical updates digitally through its cellular system? Will the MyGM app be unavailable to me without first registering ?
I never registered my OnStar system. I don't need General Motors and the government spying on me anymore than they already do. I did take the unit out of demo mode. Otherwise you can't do any channel presets on the radio. Also, be careful with software updates never do them unless you know what's going to happen. Remember, software updates often break things, or take away features.

OP
OP
GoNoGo

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info, but I don't listen to radio or news talk or Sirius Radio :thumbsup: