Another what tires should I get with a CCM kit post! Sorry...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHStansbury

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I was a regular on another board for quite some time, but I've found myself coming back here a lot lately so I thought I'd pose my question here too. I've searched a ton, read what seems like hundreds of threads, and I still can't make up my mind. I am ordering the CCM leveling kit for my 2012 Z71 today, but I am torn on what tires to go with. I've narrowed it down to BFG AT KO2s or Nitto Terra Grappler G2s but I am torn on size. It seems that everyone is running 285/65/18s but I'm not too sure I want to trim anything.

My off road adventures are minimal, but I definitely want a more aggressive look than stock. Mileage and price play will be a big factor too. Below are prices on each tire I'm considering from a local shop. I'll be running stock rims. Which would you go with? Why?

285/65/18 BFG: $257.10
285/65/18 Nitto: $230.22/tire
275/65/18 BFG: Not in stock, I'd have to track them down.
275/65/18 Nitto: $208.57/tire

Am I missing something?

***EDIT***

Man, the more I search around the more options I come across. Looks like General Grabber AT2s are getting some good reviews out there, and now I am starting to wonder if a less aggressive tire like a BFG Rugged Terrain would be a better choice since the Tahoe is still the daily driver/family hauler. Both would be a far cheaper option.

Last edited:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both good tire choices. IMO 285/65/18 since I like the wide tire look. Have the tire place pull out the 2 sizes so you can compare side by side.

OP
OP
RHStansbury

RHStansbury

Reaction score
Both good tire choices. IMO 285/65/18 since I like the wide tire look. Have the tire place pull out the 2 sizes so you can compare side by side.

Thanks Zed.

What kind of change did you see to ride quality and MPG with the 285s?

**edit** just realized you responded on the other board too, double thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Okay, I am making progress on my tire search. The decision is Terra Grappler G2s, I can get a set that isn't E rated and keep basically the same weight as a stock tire, so hopefully the MPG won't be too bad.

Now the debate is do I go 265/70 (32.6 x 10.43) for a taller tire or 275/65 (32.1 x 10.83) and get the width.

Last edited:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rides more like a truck, more firm which I like. My mpg took about a 2 mpg hit with the lift and tire combo.

Note that the odometer will be off so you either need to account for that in your calculations or adjusted. I did the BB tune so got that adjusted and performance optimized.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
If MPG is a concern then look for the lightest weight tire. I prefer a class C unless going big tire on 4-7" lift then a class E. I had Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60R20 on my old Yukon which were 33x11

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 I think is the lightest. I put Exo Grapplers on my truck and love them so far.

OP
OP
RHStansbury

RHStansbury

Reaction score
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 I think is the lightest. I put Exo Grapplers on my truck and love them so far.

I think you're right. From what I've found, it seems that the G2 in a 276/65/18 weighs about 42lbs, which is only a pound or two more than stock.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Love the Exo tire compared to Terra, but the read of Trails is much more aggressive. Also like the Toyo R/T and A/T II. I think for A/T tires like Terra and A/T II, I would have to take the A/T II. More aggressive sidewall for my tastes. Keep the tires a light as possible to maintain MPG.

OP
OP
RHStansbury

RHStansbury

Reaction score
Made myself a little template to see if I could clear 265/70r18s without any trimming this evening, and it looks like that's the route I am taking. It was between those and the 275/65s, and parked next to a brand new Sierra with 275s this evening the difference in width was hardly noticeable.

Of course, now that my mind is made up I can't get the truck into the shop for another week and a half due to travel plans. Maybe someone will run a deal on Nittos between now and then.