Alarm system on 2000 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000YukonDenali57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone have any information on how to properly use the alarm system? I picked up my Denali about a month ago and I have sucessfully set off the alarm about 50 times now. I'm not sure exactly whats happening, but I think the drivers door sometimes doesnt fully lock all the way so I end up locking it manually with the key, then set the alarm off when I open it back up? Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Mike

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several things that could be wrong here that anything we give you based on the information you provided is just going to be a guess. It can be anything from a bad ground (so the proper amount of power isn't getting to your power door lock), to a bad door lock, to a bad door switch (how the vehicle knows if the door is shut or not); it could also be a bad battery (not supplying enough power to lock/unlock the locks). The cheapest way, and potentially the easiest way, to test of all of this is to find a friend with the same year range (99-02) and swap the power door lock module out, and/or the door switch. If you do not have access to that, clean up your grounds. You could also get your battery tested at an automotive parts store.

OP
OP

2000YukonDenali57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are several things that could be wrong here that anything we give you based on the information you provided is just going to be a guess. It can be anything from a bad ground (so the proper amount of power isn't getting to your power door lock), to a bad door lock, to a bad door switch (how the vehicle knows if the door is shut or not); it could also be a bad battery (not supplying enough power to lock/unlock the locks). The cheapest way, and potentially the easiest way, to test of all of this is to find a friend with the same year range (99-02) and swap the power door lock module out, and/or the door switch. If you do not have access to that, clean up your grounds. You could also get your battery tested at an automotive parts store.
Thank you for all this information! I never thought about low voltage from possibly a bad ground. I was thinking maybe a plastic hinge component broke inside the door keeping it from being locked. I need to do some more testing and I will follow up.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to tear my door panel off, myself. I have power locks that rarely lock/unlock the first time. I've already had one module (driver's side passenger) disintegrate on me, so I really am not looking forward to this. My power windows have trouble opening and closing, too. So I suspect a current issue. On the other hand, my truck is at least 20 years old, so several components really could be having issues at once.

Unfortunately, the way my life goes, I'll not address this stuff until something breaks. :(

phliesweb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2000 denali 5.7 liter.
I just bought it very recently.
I myself tripped the alarm a couple times.
Amazingly nearly everything works perfectly.
I had only recieved a single key when i bought it. The key doesnt work on the barn doors in back.
Was there a key fob for that year gmc.

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 denali 5.7 liter.
I just bought it very recently.
I myself tripped the alarm a couple times.
Amazingly nearly everything works perfectly.
I had only recieved a single key when i bought it. The key doesnt work on the barn doors in back.
Was there a key fob for that year gmc.

If your key doesn't work for the back, that probably means the lock/door was replaced at some point and they didn't bother to re-key it.

Yes there are key fobs that you can buy and program easily yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645