Air Ride Compressor Runs When Brakes Are Pressed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gator1130

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a noise I can hear when stopped that sounds like an electric motor running from the rear of my 2016 Tahoe LTZ when my foot is on the brake. I assume it is the compressor for the air ride suspension since it is coming from the rear. The weird thing is that it will stay on both with the engine running and after I turn it off until I take my foot off of the brake pedal. It stops when I take my foot off the brake and then starts once I press the brakes again. It also does this when I first start the vehicle, too. I am not sure if it happens while driving because the road noise would be louder than the sound I am hearing. Is it possible that the compressor would somehow be triggered by the brake pedal? Is there something it could be besides the compressor?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The compressor turning on upon startup is normal. The compressor turning on when you hit the brakes is not normal, IMO. Your suspension system does have integration with the brake system in the electronic (Magnaride) portion of the suspension control system. You will need a bi-directional scanner to troubleshoot.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May have a leak in the air system and it could be bleeding off air. Test by letting it self level, then put a few bags of something like softener salt in the cargo area, let it pump itself up again. Then, let it sit 10 - 15 min, the compressor shouldn’t run during that time. If it does, you have a leaky air system (compressor and it’s bleed off valve most common fail point).