A/c Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this over on TF awhile back but I figured I would see if anyone has any other opinions over here.

Okay, here is the problem. While running the a/c the air will run cold fine, then stop for a few second then run fine again. Thats not a big deal to me, however, when the a/c is on and I accelerate the belt squeals extremely loud. Only once the truck is up to running temp does it squeal and only is rpms reach over 3k usually. Sounds like a trashed compressor to me, so my question is, could it be anything else and how hard is changing out a compressor?

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
The hardest thing about swapping out a compressor is recovering the refridgerant.

It's a simple R&R task.

BTW, IIWY, I would also swap out the orifice tube. There could be some metal shavings in it from the compressor, and bbe sure you add the right amount and type of oil.

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright cool, I would probably just let the refrigerant out though :Boo:, bad I know but so much easier

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
When you have the system recharged, have it done by a pro. This way the moisture inside will be removed and the proper oil and amount added.

Plus doing so will net you cooler air temps.

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright cool, is there anywhere online that has some instructions, as many of the people know here i'm mechanically retarded. Most involved thing I have done was install a drop :laughing1:

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
If you've done the drop, you can replace the compressor.

You'll take off the belt.

Loosen the a/c lines, and disconnect.

Loosen and remove hold down bolts that attatch the compressor to the bracket.

Remove compressor.

Its really something simple like that.

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've done the drop, you can replace the compressor.

You'll take off the belt.

Loosen the a/c lines, and disconnect.

Loosen and remove hold down bolts that attatch the compressor to the bracket.

Remove compressor.

Its really something simple like that.

Damn man thanks a lot for all the help, saved me a lot of time and $$

bwilly20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm not all that sure what a drop requires mechanically, but i replaced my compressor last July. it wasn't that easy. it was time consuming as hell due to the location of the compressor on the engine. maybe we are just retarded, but both the guy that helped me, who also owns a 2000 Silvy, and I work on airplanes in the AF for living. my buddy has also been working on cars for about 10 yrs, and he said it was the biggest pain in the ass that he has ever had with a vehicle. mind you, he's also rebuilt everthing under the hood on his Silvy so he knows his way around our engines.

while doing it yourself will save you a lot of money, make sure you have a whole day to devote to it. definitely replace the orifice tube, there was all sorts of crap and gunk in there when we swapped mine out. i got my compressor from a guy that owns a local junkyard for $175. IIRC, O'Reilly's wanted about $300 for a re-manned one from an off brand part maker. i spent about $400 all together between the compressor, condenser, orifice tube and getting it recharged by the shop on base. when you compare that to the $600-$800 i was quoted, our time and pains, haha, was worth it.

sorry to type a full book, i just wanted to let you know exactly what you're in for.

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah the only thing that worried me was the location of it, but I have a week off so I'll just take my time and see what I can get done. I havent gotten a chance to pull the belt off and make sure the compressor is binding but I'm 90% sure thats whats happening. The orifice tube is located in the inlet tube to the evap correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
packle