95-99 GM truck Double Din install (TheDetaillSS)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97WhiteYukon

Reaction score
Bump to an old thread. Not trying to hijack but I have the complete kit brand new in the box if anyone is interested. I was hoping to post it on the classified section but I don't have the post count for it. Looks really legit though, mine is for the grey interior. I emailed the detailss about two weeks ago to see if there was any way I could get a refund since I don't have the truck to put it in anymore, but never heard back.

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a double DIN radio/NAV/SAT, a Pioneer AVIC-W8200NEX, in one of my vehicles that required some dash bezel modification, but not this extensive. That's because the truck already had an "almost DIN" opening that only required some minor trim cutting with my Dremel.

The hardest part, for me, was in joining the pig tail for the radio unit to the Metra pig tail which plugged into the OEM wiring harness. There are a lot of small gauge wires to splice together.

Once done, having GPS, HD radio, and Satellite radio in one unit is very nice.

I will be installing nearly the same unit in my Yukon.

Thank you to the originator of this thread, lots of great information.

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new AVIC-8200NEX is here, as is the pioneer sat radio receiver. Just waiting on the reconfigured instrument panel bezel and wiring parts to get on the project.

Sirius/XM ought to give us a discount, this will be four receivers we have now. They know full well that at most we're only listening to two of them at a time. My wife's car came with one, I installed one in my F-350, have one for listening in the house, and now the new one for the Yukon.

Once you get used to the advantages of sat radio, particularly on the road, it's hard to go back.

TJ Nelson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Question: did you install a backup camera? If so, where did you pick up the reverse switch contacts? Also I used a different bezel, the metra dp-3003, and so far the worst part was getting a match on the grey interior paint.

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question: did you install a backup camera? If so, where did you pick up the reverse switch contacts? Also I used a different bezel, the metra dp-3003, and so far the worst part was getting a match on the grey interior paint.

I have a backup camera but haven't installed it yet. I'm thinking that a camera might be more useful on the Yukon since the back doors block more of the view. The Pioneer unit can accept video from a camera, no problem there.

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the reworked instrument bezel from The DetaillSS way back in July and as of 15 October it has not arrived. I emailed them, receiving no answer.

Does anyone know if they're still in business? They billed my card already, so they have the money. I don't want to hurt them, but their business practices are very bad, very unprofessional.

Anyone have information? If so, please post it in this thread.

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be demanding DetailsSS return the money I send them for their bezel kit. It's obvious that the person that is alleged to be running a business has abandoned it and moved on. He owes me over $400.00 for work NOT performed.

I hate dealing with this sort of crap, we do what we must.

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To paraphrase the late Hunter Thompson, "things just get interestinger and interestinger", as I proceed on into this install.

As most of you may know, I bought the Yukon last summer from a seller in Utah. While I asked questions about condition, I never asked about the audio system.

It turns out that one of the previous owners had installed a single DIN Pioneer DEH-P8400BH, which isn't a bad head unit at all. I removed it this morning and instantly found out why there was no sound coming from it. The installer had connected it via all the RCA connectors to an external amp and subwoofer. I'd suspected as much because there's still a huge power lead coming from the battery and running all the way to just behind the rear seat. Not much other use for a 1/4 inch connecting wire.

I disconnected the RCA lines, and the rest of the plugged in leads and now have the head unit sitting on my desk. Much to my surprise, the main head unit connector is the same on the DEH-P8400 as on the new AVIC unit I'm installing. No Sirius/XM port and no navigation antenna port, but it has all the other "stuff".

That means I'm unlikely to need to splice in a new adapter cable since that's already been done. I'll just need to place the Sirius/XM receiver, connect it, and place the antenna for that. I'll place the nav antenna, and I'll be done with the wiring.

I bought a double DIN bezel, just needs paint to match the tan interior and I'm finished. Photos later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts