5.3L Head Removal (2002 Tahoe)

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Larryjb, Dec 8, 2018 at 12:47 AM.

1. Larryjb

Larryjb Full Access Member

Name:
    Larry
    So many of you have helped me in many ways, so I thought I'd return the favour for anyone thinking about doing their own heads.

I made this check list so that I wouldn't forget to reconnect or install any bolts. I don't think I forgot anything on this. This is not a guide for the job. Use a service manual if you've never done this before.

I work slowly. Removing the heads took me about 2 days solid. However, I was bagging all parts and making notes. Installation took about 3-4 days solid because I was cleaning all surfaces. I also cleaned the piston tops using Gasket Clean and a razor. This worked really well. I didn't get them perfect, but it was very close. Also, I replaced the water pump at the same time.

Attached Files:

Erickk120, iamdub, MrBalll and 2 others like this.
  2. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Thanks for taking the time to write this!

3. MrBalll

MrBalll Full Access Member

Name:
    Jason
    Nice little guide. Thanks for writing it up and posting for us.

4. Larryjb

Larryjb Full Access Member

Name:
    Larry
    It's running smooth as silk now. My scantool is showing that the O2 sensors seem a little lazy, and I think my PCV system is leaking a little air. I plan to install a catch can as soon as I can get the right hoses. Also, the downstream O2 sensors are running at about 750 to 800 mV. From what I understand, that indicates that the exhaust gases are still a little on the rich side and the catalytic converter is burning off the remaining hydrocarbons in the exhaust which, in turn, lowers the O2. It's my understanding that the downstream O2 sensors should be closer to 500 or 600 mV. Also, the upstream O2 sensors switch barely between 800 and 200 mV. I have new O2 sensors on order and will install them in the coming weeks.

The machine shop seems to have done a very nice job with the heads.