5.3 to 6.0 engine swap 03 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stein2088

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here it is. I got bored one day at work and found a 6.0 for sale with low miles. Ive been looking around on the site A LOT but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything in addition to finding out a little bit more about the trans. But first, this is my understanding. The swap will be straight forward. Pull the old girl out (if you can call 80K old) and put the new one in.. It's the same block all of my accessories will mount up. Basiclly I will reuse my entire exhaust system, and Intake manifold. The onlything changing is the block and heads. I need to get my computer reprogramed and thats it. Now for my trans question... Everyone that I have seen post recomends putting in servos changing to torq conv. to make the trans stronger. Wouldn't it be better to just use the trans that goes with the 6.0 or doesn't it work with my tahoe?

RECAP
5.3 -> 6.0 In 03 Tahoe Z71

Changes:
-Block and Heads
-Reprogram Comp-(Is this 100% necessary and can you buy a reprogramer to do it or do i have to take it somewhere?

Stays:
-Intake Manif
-Exhaust Manif

Questions:
-Trans- Would I be able to use the trans that came with the 6.0 or do I have to upgrade the stocker.

Finally, did I miss anything??? I live in Butler, PA and I will be moving to IL for the summer toeing a U-haul with a bike in it so I'm not looking to break down anytime soon... Also all thoughts comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S. 5.3 runs good so if anyone is interested.....

Drippin Wett

Reaction score
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I want to do the same thing. If you don't mind sharing, about how much did you have to shell out for the 6.0? Please post your progress and lessons learned.

OP
OP
S

Stein2088

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They use same trans, upgrade yours.

The guy is asking $900 for the engine and $600 for the trans. I would prob try to get the pair for $1K or cheaper. It is out of an 06 Silverado that a tree fell on the cab/bed. And after thought I assume everyone makes a switch to a E-fan is this correct?
Also I havent made a purchase yet I want to know everything up front before I dive in... Ideally do it in a weekend. And one last question... Who would replace the bearings just for the hell of it??? I would like to at least have a lil more power with the same or better fuel eco... I'm not going crazy yet....

Trans Question:
Is it the same trans as in shell with different internals or identical?

rhukill

Reaction score
I've thought about making a swap like this also, since my 02 5.3 has over 200K on it, so I'm subscribing to keep up with yours. Will you be posting pics & info as you go?

OP
OP
S

Stein2088

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about making a swap like this also, since my 02 5.3 has over 200K on it, so I'm subscribing to keep up with yours. Will you be posting pics & info as you go?

Ya I'll try to post as many pics as i can when I go through with it... I'm still trying to find out a little bit more about the Trans and the computer... So Its going to be at least a month till I start.. I know there is a sticky thread in this section with a lot of info but I'm looking to clarify some things before I move forward with this...

JGARZA2213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely an interesting thread, assuming that you go through with it.

All I can say is good luck man!

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the trans will work as is but strengthening it some wouldnt be a bad idea. BB can make you a tune and thatll be it.

anyone please correct me if im wrong. use your current intake, injectors, etc and itll all bolt in? i think there are some very minor things to switch or customize but again, very minor.

this is something ive thought about also.

OP
OP
S

Stein2088

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the trans will work as is but strengthening it some wouldnt be a bad idea. BB can make you a tune and thatll be it.

anyone please correct me if im wrong. use your current intake, injectors, etc and itll all bolt in? i think there are some very minor things to switch or customize but again, very minor.

this is something ive thought about also.

BB tune??? I only have one vehicle so if there is a programer out there that I can do it my self that would help A LOT... Plus this is my only vehicle so it cant be down for to long.

Drippin Wett

Reaction score
I've only had my Tahoe for a short; that being said I've read a lot. The BLackBear tune is highly recommended. No down time, just core charges, and security deposit. EFI live is far superior to a handheld run of the mill tuner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdadair

Latest posts