5.3 starter issue, and parasitic battery drain.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just putting the key in and switching to accessory is dropping voltage down to 9.5V, to run drops it down to 8.9V and to start it goes down to 5V.

I thought I found something to do with IGN B, but I insert the key and sometimes get a voltage drop from 12.6V to 10V but it's momentary drop.
At this point I would suspect the mechanical ignition switch has fried internal contacts. Its a fairly easy swapout too!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Although your measurements showing the cluster drawing that much when the truck is asleep indicates a parasitic draw, it's not enough to cause the no crank issue with a good/charged battery.

There's something else going on here. You may have a bad battery cable or two, or bad grounds, or both. The battery cables tend to rot from the inside out and it's not always apparent when they go bad; they can have low resistance but can't carry a load. There are also many important grounds on these trucks and they should all be clean and secure.