4WD not working - doesn't do anything besides blink - 96 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mstaake415

Reaction score
Hi all!
I've got a 1996 GMC Yukon K1500 with the 5.7L Gas V8 and 4L60E Automatic transmission.

I recently bought it with about 114K miles. I didn't test the 4WD during the test drive because I didn't really care. But today I figured I'd try it out and well, it doesn't work. I read the owners manual so I'm not doing it wrong, but when I press the 4HI or 4LO buttons it just blinks and it never engages. I also have (though it's not currently in driveable condition, long story) a similar 98 truck with the same configuration and shortly after pressing the button you can feel it engage.

What troubleshooting steps should I take?

My Yukon also runs and idles pretty rough and the transmission slips a bit. Clearly not the most well maintained vehicle even though it has less miles than most of these. It might need an intake manifold gasket or a fuel spider, but that's not primary concern :)

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a number of things that could cause this. Your best bet is to subscribe to AllDataDIY.com for your vehicle. That's basically the factory service manual on line. Look your issue up and follow the diagnostic steps.

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
Alldata is great. Your 4WD issue sounds like it's probably the actuator in the front axle. My '96 tahoe I bought recently did the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
So 4Lo engages? The light stops blinking and you can feel it physically engage?

Does your output shaft to the front diff turn whole moving a little whilst trying to engage 4Hi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsamoul

Hoe Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has had the same problem since I got it. 4hi blinks. Replaced actuator, even replaced it with electric rather than thermal.

4lo physically does something, but the light still blinks.

rabbiporkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really cheap to convert it to a manual floor shift NP241. That's what I did when my ex wife's 99 quit engaging in 4wd.

arctic388

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when mine did the same thing i replaced the dash switch with a used one from ebay and it works now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travisryan78