4 wheel selection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cooljunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got a 2003 Yukon with automatic 4wd. So far so good. One glitch, I'm driving in 2wh and when I park and start again it will be in 4lo or 4auto. I can shift it back to 2wh but why does it not return to the setting I was using when I parked?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Switch could possibly be bad.

OP
OP
C

cooljunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Still acting up, sometimes when I start it the red neutral light will be on but it will still drive, not really in neutral?

OP
OP
C

cooljunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update

Update, Still having problems with 4x mode selection, Installed new dash switch, no help. Went to a shop that was supposed to be able to fix it. His scanner was not able to read it. He tried a replacement transfer case activator motor with no luck, and tried some kind of reset procedure with no luck. Looking for a shop that can analyze the problem. May need a control module or a new transfer case!!!! I can still get it to shift back into 2hi. each time it looses its memory.

OP
OP
C

cooljunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My latest "fix" hold the 2wheel hi button while starting the truck. So far it will then be in 2 hi when started.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
It's the sensor in the encoder motor. I had a few jump from 2 hi to 4 lo while driving. Of course it never engaged 4 lo because i wasn't in neutral at the time but it did also jump to 4hi once or twice and you WILL notice that. You can either replace the whole encoder motor yourself (expensive ~$400-500) or pull the motor out yourself, open it up and replace the position sensor yourself with a Dorman part (cheap like $35). Third option is to have a shop diagnose and repair it (~$800+).

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-600-120-Transfer-Motor-Encoder/dp/B004GBAPC2

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

From what I've seen online, Auto 4WD is the default mode when the truck starts. Not sure why it is defaulting to 4lo sometimes, though.

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1092623&postcount=8

Negative. It stays in whatever position it was in when last key-off.

OP
OP
C

cooljunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So far so good. After holding the 2 Hi. button while starting for a couple of weeks it seems the control module or encoder has been reset to start in 2 Hi.
Will continue to "remind" it occasionally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redoak76

Latest posts