285/75/r16 e range tires, recommended pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeromeswierczek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a set of e range 285/75/r16 tires on my 2000 z71. i was wondering if anyone else was running tires this size and load rating, and what tire pressure you run. i have been running them at 35, but since they are a heavier tire than stock, i want to know if i should run more pressure. they are rated up to 80 psi.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple Simple rules in life to follow with tires..

New tire = good and safe, 99% of the time.
Old tire = bad and dangerous, all the time.

More PSI = Better MPG = harsher ride = get stuck faster.
Less Psi = Worse MPG = smoother ride = don't get stuck as fast.

To much PSI = worn out center tread and twitchy (but easy) steering
To few PSI = dangerously high side wall temps and potential catastrophic failure = Worn out outer edges of tread.

Run that tire up to 65 and see how you like it for a week, watch your MPG Sky rocket!
Following week run them up to 80 and try again.

Just remember your speed rating.....

OP
OP
J

jeromeswierczek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i ran them up to 55, and they feel good, still haven't really gone on the highway yet with them at that pressure, but i'll try 65. thanks for the help

crayfysh

Reaction score
I run 35 around town, and 50 on the highway...

The first time I took it on the highway at 35psi it felt like i was going to roll the truck with the tire being so soft around turns at highway speed... buy an infrared thermometer and see what the temps are at the different psi's. Espically now since warmer weather is upon us. good luck! btw unless you are towing your 7,000lb rating I would never put it to full 80psi. I really wish they made P rated tires in high floatation :(

Attachments

• IMG_20150422_201326.jpg
    IMG_20150422_201326.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
J

jeromeswierczek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have them at 70 now, i think i'll let some out though because it's wearing more in the middle. i just did that to even them out a little, i'm thinking 60 or 65 in the long run

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879