275/65R20 Winter Tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YYCYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was looking at options for a set of studded winter tires for my 2021 Yukon Denali (Diesel) stock height (no air suspension).

Given the shortage of my preferred winter tires (Nokian Hakkapeliitta) in the stock size, I’m looking at a couple alternative sizes.

265/60R20 or 275/65R20

I wouldn’t mind the taller sidewall in the winter if they would fit.

Which would you go for?

OP
OP
Y

YYCYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. You’re correct, the stock size is 275/60R20. I’ve owned Blizzak’s and studded Hakks 8s and 9s in the past. I would like to stay with the studded Hakks (I spend a fair amount of time driving on mountain passes). Unfortunately neither the 9s or 10s are available in Canada or the US due to supply shortages.

I can source the Hakk LT3 in 265/60r20 or 275/65r20 sizes - neither are the stock size. The narrower size of the 265 is probably slightly advantageous in snow (less float) and is pretty much the same circumference as the stock tire size on the 22” wheels. If I could go to the slightly taller 275/65 size without rubbing, I would probably do that (although I suspect a 34” tire even with a 275 width may rub).

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look at Hankook winter iPike tires. They are studdable, and they have 3 rows of studs.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. You’re correct, the stock size is 275/60R20. I’ve owned Blizzak’s and studded Hakks 8s and 9s in the past. I would like to stay with the studded Hakks (I spend a fair amount of time driving on mountain passes). Unfortunately neither the 9s or 10s are available in Canada or the US due to supply shortages.

I can source the Hakk LT3 in 265/60r20 or 275/65r20 sizes - neither are the stock size. The narrower size of the 265 is probably slightly advantageous in snow (less float) and is pretty much the same circumference as the stock tire size on the 22” wheels. If I could go to the slightly taller 275/65 size without rubbing, I would probably do that (although I suspect a 34” tire even with a 275 width may rub).
Yea any of the strictly winter tires are gonna perform great…its not just nokian that makes a good one.

I agree, the skinnier tire but same over height should work great…if they are available in the tire you want i wouldn't shy away from it at all.

I just put 305/45/22 tires on the wifes 100% stock ‘22 tahoe and they fit just fine with no rubbing anywhere.

Anh L

Reaction score
I was looking at options for a set of studded winter tires for my 2021 Yukon Denali (Diesel) stock height (no air suspension).

Given the shortage of my preferred winter tires (Nokian Hakkapeliitta) in the stock size, I’m looking at a couple alternative sizes.

265/60R20 or 275/65R20

I wouldn’t mind the taller sidewall in the winter if they would fit.

Which would you go for?
I would go with 265/60R20
Btw, where you can get Hakkap in YYC with this size ?

OP
OP
Y

YYCYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the comments.

Kaltire has an exclusive distribution agreement with Nokian so the only place you can find them here is Kaltire… however, they’re (seemingly like every other decent winter tire in Canada) is sold out and won’t likely be restocked.

I can order them from simpletire and have them shipped free to the Montana shipping outlet in Eureka. Eureka is a quick drive from Fernie BC where I spend a fair amount of time in the winter.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at Hankook winter iPike tires. They are studdable, and they have 3 rows of studs.
Im running studded iPikes, not overly impressed compared to my non-snowflake rated KO2s. I’ll pry order some Nokia’s for next year.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best snow tire in my opinion (non-studded as not legal here in MN) is the Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-2. I put 10’s of thousands of miles on in the winter in the northern Midwest as part of my sales territory and have found these tires to be the best. I had a set of Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA R2’s on a second gen Audi Q7 and really wanted to like them but found them squirrelly compared to the Blizzaks. That all may change when you have them studded however.

I was just out in MT elk hunting and had to drive home in an ice storm. The DMV-2’s on my 21 Yukon Denali (mounted on 20” AT4 OEM takeoff rims) made for a VERY planted drive wirh no sliding or drama. I was extremely pleased with the performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu