21 Yukon bad wheel bearing with only 30000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every place I’ve ever been uses a torque limiting extension on the air driver. It won’t torque over 140 foot pounds. I have one in the toolbox of my truck…. quick and easy to rap the nuts on and not worry if they are over torqued.
I saw a YouTube video where they tested out some of these "Torque Sticks" to see if they actually do work. And they actually DO work, sort of. The caveat is that they ONLY work on air powered impacts for some reason. Battery powered impact wrenches still allowed the fasteners to be over torqued with the torque stick in use. But the pneumatic impacts actually would NOT go over the torque that the torque stick was rated for. They explained something about the way the anvils are designed and the number of impacts per minute and yada yada, as to why it only worked on air impacts. So at least I learned something, that torque sticks are absolutely USELESS on a battery powered impact, they ONLY work on pneumatic impacts. Since I only own cordless impacts, I now know that there's no point in ever purchasing torque sticks. I stick to just one ugga dugga, and then finishing all the lugs with an actual torque wrench. :thumbsup:

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Milwaukee M18 impact. It has a 4th mode which allows it to run down a lug nut just until it’s snug and then it cuts the power. I get all the lug nuts snug, lower the Yukon back to the ground and finish with a torque wrench @ 140 ft-lbs.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to put things into perspective the "typical" life of a OE wheel hub is 160k, but ya they can fail at anytime
could have been caused by a internal defect (poor quality control), or who knows a spectacular pot hole.........

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to put things into perspective the "typical" life of a OE wheel hub is 160k, but ya they can fail at anytime
could have been caused by a internal defect (poor quality control), or who knows a spectacular pot hole.........
Yes, or more in a dry climate. Got 238K out of the left front hub on my ‘07 and the right side is still going strong. Arizona car until I bought it.

paspasero

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m getting the same clicking noise on my 2021 Yukon XL also at 30,000 miles. Took it to my local GMC dealer and their techs say the clicking is normal when the vehicle is on the lift or jacks. The clicking goes away when the bearings have load on them. I call BS. Here’s a video of mine that I shared with my service tech.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting the same clicking noise on my 2021 Yukon XL also at 30,000 miles. Took it to my local GMC dealer and their techs say the clicking is normal when the vehicle is on the lift or jacks. The clicking goes away when the bearings have load on them. I call BS. Here’s a video of mine that I shared with my service tech.
Take a look into the bulletin in this thread.

Thread 'Popping/Ticking in Wheel Assembly'
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/popping-ticking-in-wheel-assembly.146966/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz