2022 Yukon Denali Suspension Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmatt81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had the 2022 Yukon Denali for almost 12 months. At lower speeds, in the neighborhood, I get a lot of extra roll when going over bumps. I would expect the initial roll of the suspension when going over of bump, but it seems to over counter balance when rebounding. As an example, if the left front goes over a hump on the road, you get swung back and forth. Initially to the left (you hit the left front) then it rolls back and tosses you to the right. I would expect the first but not the second. This is the largest SUV I have hade (previously a Sequoia), so maybe this is normal. Not something I would expect of a SUV at this price point.

I have the Ultimate package with the 22" wheels and magnetic suspension.

I mentioned this to the Dealer at my 7500 mile mark, and they stated they did not notice anything unusual. The tossing around is such that my wife comments on it every time she is in the car.

Is this normal or do I have a problem?

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have had our 2022 Denali for 9 months and are still getting used to it. The general ride is really nice, highway, around town, etc. I have noticed how "flat" it stays when taking a moderate curve at speed. I am not a fast driver, but it is noticeable how it stays very level. A big difference from our 2007 Sequoia! Now, going over speed bumps is where it does rock back and forth, and I think that might be what you are talking about? I basically expect that from such a large vehicle, and I just go real slow. Maybe going faster would be different? I don't plan to try that.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like what you’re describing is called head shake. It’s a function of the height of the vehicle. In specific how high your head is above the road. The higher you are the more lateral movement your head makes when the tire rolls over a bump or into a hole.

You can reduce this by lowering the seats, as well as lowering the suspension.

Do you have air ride?

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my '21 does that. It's really bad when turning left onto one end of our street after the main road had another layer of asphalt added. Probably an eight inch height coherence. If i made a "normal" turn it felt like you'd be thrown from your seat. Wife used to grab the door and the console to brace herself. I've learned to flatten out the turn a bit so the right front and left rear wheels drop down together and take the turn a little quicker. Still rocks a bit, but much less than when letting each wheel drop down in turn.

OP
OP
K

kmatt81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sounds like what you’re describing is called head shake. It’s a function of the height of the vehicle. In specific how high your head is above the road. The higher you are the more lateral movement your head makes when the tire rolls over a bump or into a hole.

You can reduce this by lowering the seats, as well as lowering the suspension.

Do you have air ride?
Yes, it does have air ride.

WilliamMunny

Reaction score
I just got a 22 Tahoe LT with the base suspension and overall, it is an extremely good ride. The only time I will notice the secondary "bounce" is over speed bumps at over 20mph and even then, it's not too bad.

djnice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is this ride condition exacerbated with air suspension?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17