2021 Tahoe left us stranded 3 times first year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe_RST_2021

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our 2021 Tahoe RST, cherry red, is absolutely beautiful! The interior is awesome and amazingly comfortable. Sad to say, this Tahoe is just un-reliable and we cannot depend on it. We have only owned it a year and it has left us stranded 3 times. At 16,000 miles lifters failed and GM had to rebuild top end of the engine. At 20,000 miles GM pushed a software update out that destroyed the Driver Information Console (DIC). At 28,000 miles, the fuel pump control module failed. GM has had our Tahoe in the shop under repair for 4 weeks out of a 52 week year. This is only the first year. It scares me to think what will happen after the warranty expires. Oh yeah, no loaners or rental car assistance. We had to pay $1,200 in rental car fees while GM had it in the shop.

We are trading our Tahoe in on a 2023 Toyota Sequoia. GM has lost our loyalty. Next year year, I'm trading in my 2016 Silverado on a Toyota Tundra. We just simply cannot afford GM anymore.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2021 Tahoe RST, cherry red, is absolutely beautiful! The interior is awesome and amazingly comfortable. Sad to say, this Tahoe is just un-reliable and we cannot depend on it. We have only owned it a year and it has left us stranded 3 times. At 16,000 miles lifters failed and GM had to rebuild top end of the engine. At 20,000 miles GM pushed a software update out that destroyed the Driver Information Console (DIC). At 28,000 miles, the fuel pump control module failed. GM has had our Tahoe in the shop under repair for 4 weeks out of a 52 week year. This is only the first year. It scares me to think what will happen after the warranty expires. Oh yeah, no loaners or rental car assistance. We had to pay $1,200 in rental car fees while GM had it in the shop.

We are trading our Tahoe in on a 2023 Toyota Sequoia. GM has lost our loyalty. Next year year, I'm trading in my 2016 Silverado on a Toyota Tundra. We just simply cannot afford GM anymore.

Since your daddy didn't say it, I will. Never buy a first year model car. You are apt to have a similar experience with Toyota, those too are all new.

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since your daddy didn't say it, I will. Never buy a first year model car. You are apt to have a similar experience with Toyota, those too are all new.

I've had a few first model year vehicles, and everything that did go wrong was fixed in warranty. If it is truly faulty, it is most likely going to fail in warranty. That said, I've never had a problem with alternate vehicle or rental reimbursement, you just have to escalate until you do. Sometimes its handled at the dealer level, sometimes its handled at the executive resolution level.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a few first model year vehicles, and everything that did go wrong was fixed in warranty. If it is truly faulty, it is most likely going to fail in warranty. That said, I've never had a problem with alternate vehicle or rental reimbursement, you just have to escalate until you do. Sometimes its handled at the dealer level, sometimes its handled at the executive resolution level.
I agree, I had a 1st year Grand Cherokee and it was in the shop 4 times the 1st year. Not happy also, but after that, it settled in to be a great vehicle for the next 5 years. Stick it out. It’s too good of a vehicle to just ditch if you really like it otherwise.
You should’ve had a discussion with your dealer before signing for the vehicle about rental cars. I explicitly had this conversation with the sales person, the general manager, and the service manager. If I got problems and it Has to stay for more than a day for a warranty issue, I either get a loaner vehicle or a rental vehicle paid during the 3/36 period. If I don’t… I’m not buying it. So far they have held up their end of the deal…

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One I wouldn't pay any out of pocket rental while my car is being fixed under warranty. You should have contacted GM.
Second your vehicle is probably worth as much as you paid for it so just sell it and move on.
Third your 2016 will probably last a long time (I have 269k miles on the same powertrain) but congrats on downgrading to a tundra.

Rennsport

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The lifter issue/failure has NOTHING to do with first year model year! And how GM is handling it, alone is enough to vote with your walking boots! I also have a deposit on a Sequoia (and will take my chances with them vs GM). My guess is GM is hoping to buy time as they go electric and just hope the class action law suit on the lifters takes years and years to settle. My best guess is they will settle with an extended warranty on the powertrain for anyone was stranded due to the known issues. It will be small potatoes, relative to the time/headache/safety of those that have been left stranded on the side of the road with no real help other than say, "sorry" but not sorry.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Isn't Toyota having turbo issues on the new trucks?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is good advice, however the electronics appear to have been a thing as far back as the 2019 model trucks with the refreshed design. That's going back to 2018 in terms of when they are built. It's nearly 2023 now. Same with the motors, the new DFM 5.3 has been available for those same 2019 model trucks as well, versus AFM 5.3 for the previous generation. I too would be pissed especially if I bought brand new and spent $80,000 or whatever. We're talking HOUSE price for a small home from not all that long ago in certain locales.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I had a 1st year Grand Cherokee and it was in the shop 4 times the 1st year. Not happy also, but after that, it settled in to be a great vehicle for the next 5 years. Stick it out. It’s too good of a vehicle to just ditch if you really like it otherwise.
You should’ve had a discussion with your dealer before signing for the vehicle about rental cars. I explicitly had this conversation with the sales person, the general manager, and the service manager. If I got problems and it Has to stay for more than a day for a warranty issue, I either get a loaner vehicle or a rental vehicle paid during the 3/36 period. If I don’t… I’m not buying it. So far they have held up their end of the deal…
Not all that long ago I would have voted Chrysler as "least desirable" in regards to being reliable of the big 3 domestic auto manufactures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne