2020 Tahoe Premier Smash or Pass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm on x2 of K2 myself.

The RST does hold its value pretty well. I just picked up my Esky Platinum in December for 36k just a point to ponder. Less miles but a few years older than the RST you are talking about. If you can get it for under 40k then I would say to do it.

It all depends on how it was taken care of, the normal issues are AFM, and Mag ride, there has been a recent come to light on the 10 speeds having issues, but its less than the 6 speed for sure. Any of the k2 stuff, service service service... Stay ahead of all recommended things. There are many rigs here running into the high 100k already with no real issues. Its real easy to dwell on the negatives. These are great vehicles, comfy, and fun with the 6.2. I love NNBS, but this is a nice step up for sure. The reason for me on the escalade was the sport mode switch and the platinum with black suede headliner. I went 8 speed for personal preference in driving experience, the 10 has alot of changing in city driving. Let us know what you come up with....

OP
OP
tooleyondeck

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the RST you are talking about
Thank you! If I could find a Platinum that would definitely be the move. It's funny you mention RST because this literally has all the RST options except for the blacked out grille and trim. I'm fairly certain the original owner had to have optioned it like this.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my old '15 Yukon XL Denali I owned it from 24K miles bought CPO and it was totaled by a drunk driver at 149K miles.

Followed severe maintenance schedule on all drivetrain fluids.
- Installed a Range AFM disabler at 30K miles.
- A/C condenser failure at 62K miles
- AFM lifter failure at 78K miles; Repaired under CPO warranty with OEM parts AFM still active. Range went back in.

We now have a '19 Escalade ESV Premium in the stable that is the wife's daily and its been great. Huge improvement with the 10 speed over the 8 speed that was in my '15 Denali.

I would not hesitate to buy another K2XX SUV and my personal criteria would be the 6.2 L86 with the 10 speed transmission which puts you in a '18-'20 model year.

This particular Tahoe linked in the OP at $42K with 83K miles is high on the price for the mileage. You can get into a '18-'20 Yukon Denali with the 6.2L and 10 speed drivetrain with 60K +/- miles for $42-$45K (which to me equals driven for one less year). There are a small amount of 2020 models that are still being offered CPO which to maybe buys you some more time on the AFM failure dice roll.

But I would definitely suggest to go drive one because the K2XX feels, handles, and is different in a lot ways than the previous generations; Some good some bad but ultimately just different.

EDIT: That mahogany leather is a bit more rare interior color and is sharp. It’s comparable to the Kona Brown in our ‘19 Escalade ESV. It’s probably the only other color other than black that I’d get. We transport too many kids to be having light tan shale interiors…. That and I’ve never been a fan of how jeans will rub off blue onto the lighter leathers.

Last edited:

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Word of advice/caution: if the transmission was not serviced using the severe maintenance schedule, it's a hard PASS. It's not enough to do it right this second; 89k is too far gone and it should have had at least 2 transmission fluid/filter changes by this time.

Ask me how I know: I just spent $13k replacing the transmission because I failed to follow that maintenance schedule on my 2019 Escalade and the transmission started having major issues.

If you're going to do it, make sure you get all the maintenance records.

L8T BURB

Reaction score
Looking at the Carfax, 2 things concern me.

1. There are oil change intervals of 12k and 16k.
2. Transmission has no record of being serviced.

Having a 2015 Suburban that I just spent upwards of $13k to replace the engine and transmission on, that's why I am a stickler for those 2 things. Granted I did replace the outgoing 5.3 with a 6.6 gas engine and a 6L90 trans...but that's beside the point.

As long as you can get a VERY good extended warranty to go with it, it may be worth a shot. The price does seem a little high, but that appears to be a HIGHLY optioned rig...so it is somewhat understandable. As others have mentioned, unless your heart is dead set on this one, it may not hurt to search the market for Yukon Denali. When thinking of the value of a warranty, think of whether you'd be fine with potentially dropping $8k on a lifter job, or $6k on a transmission job on top of the initial investment of the vehicle.

I will say though, I am a sucker for black vehicles and man is that thing SHARP! I haven't owned one, but from what others say, the 6.2 w/10 speed is the cream of the crop!

OP
OP
tooleyondeck

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I would definitely suggest to go drive one because the K2XX feels, handles, and is different in a lot ways than the previous generations; Some good some bad but ultimately just different.
I'm going to go put my hands on it and drive it this morning. They also have a 19 Denali XL in Satin Steel (not my first or second choice of color though) that I want to check out. I’ll definitely ask for service records for both and inquire about the transmission severe maintenance. Thanks for all the insight y’all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz