2019 yukon xl shake when breaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukonxl19

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the group. Thanks for the add
2019 Yukon xl slt
I have a severe shake when hitting the breaks at higher speeds but it will shake from lower speeds as well. The kicker is it's on on the drivers side. I've replaced break pads rotors inner outer tie rod and the wheel hub. I'm lost at this point. I've has it aligned twice. With covid and all that shit it's impossible to find a good shop in my area that you don't have to make an appointment a month out. I need my truck and don't have that kind of time. Does anyone have any ideas or input?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to the group. Thanks for the add
2019 Yukon xl slt
I have a severe shake when hitting the breaks at higher speeds but it will shake from lower speeds as well. The kicker is it's on on the drivers side. I've replaced break pads rotors inner outer tie rod and the wheel hub. I'm lost at this point. I've has it aligned twice. With covid and all that shit it's impossible to find a good shop in my area that you don't have to make an appointment a month out. I need my truck and don't have that kind of time. Does anyone have any ideas or input?

Make an appointment with your local GM dealer, Cadillac, GMC or Chevy.

Only thing I can suggest is that the new rotors and pads were no good too. How old are the tires?

lbenson

Reaction score
Make an appointment with your local GM dealer, Cadillac, GMC or Chevy.

Only thing I can suggest is that the new rotors and pads were no good too. How old are the tires?
I second the tires on this one too... The stock Continentals that came on two of the trucks we bought new (they come on the 20" rims) sucked so bad, between terrible wear patterns and rough ride. Replaced them by 25k miles on both trucks. Highly recommend Michelin Defenders for these trucks.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires most definitely. I went with the Pirelli Scorpion’s. Soft smooth ride handle well, but not sold on wear. Like others have said Michelin Defenders are really good

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
defenders wear out too quickly. the Pirellis are my fav. awesome in wet and quiet in dry. my .02

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts on this. When you put both pads and rotors on there's a break-in method for your brakes. What that does is deposit material from the pads onto the rotors. Of course the rotors need to have been well cleaned with brake cleaner.

If you've done all that correctly next up is your braking technique. When I raced in SCCA I would apply the brakes very hard and release as soon as possible in an attempt to keep heat from soaking my braking system. My theory was heat right at the rotor surface would dissipate quickly. Unfortunately when I did this on street vehicles that didn't get the same hard use it would cause that deposited material to stack up funny and cause heavy brake judder. It was difficult for me to brake more gently and basically drag the brakes to a stop.

One last thought is brake fluid condition. If you haven't ever changed your brake fluid and properly bled the brakes you could have some condensation in the caliper that flashes to steam and affects the brakes.

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll typically get 70k+ on the Defenders... how many miles do you get on the Pirellis?
Generally, if i get 50k out of any tires, its a good day. I tend to drive hard, and even with rotate every service (appx4k miles) the Defenders lasted 38, with the 2 front tires at or below the wear bars and the rear right behind them. its an awesome tire, don't get me wrong, but the Pirellis will give me 55-60k. 3 sets of Michelins, now on 4th set of Pirellis. very predictable tire too.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny we're Michelin fans exclusively but my wife picked up a nail right by the sidewall and had to get new tires. Costco alternates between Michelins or Pirellis on sale. She was there and it was Pirelli month. She called me and I told her Pirellis were a good tire so she bought them. On the drive home there was a vibration so she took it back to get it balanced AGAIN. Still shaking they tried a third time. When she called again they asked her to take someplace else with roadforce balancing and they'd pay. Still no joy. She had an alignment done. It was fine. She was about to buy new wheels when she decided to go back and buy the Michelins. Her car is back to riding smooth and vibration free.

I put 70k miles on a set on my '96 Buick Roadmaster and sold it with lots of tread left.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP hasn't been seen since posting this, apparently the issue is not that important. lol
it's almost always brake related when the problem happens while braking, shakes at speed are more likely to be alignment or tire/wheel related.