2017 Yukon XL SLT Dash says Charging problems and everything goes nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Datruckdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Yukon XL SLT. I bought it around mid- Jan of this year. I put a new alternator on it within the first month. Today, I leave work, and alarms start going off saying service charging system. The truck starts shutting off all “non essential “ functions and then dies. I got a jump, and barely made it back to work. I mean this thing Cut off power steering, EVERYTHING! Anyone Know whAt the issue could be? Please? I’m already overpaying for this truck and the warranty from Alpha 1 is garbage. They have already denied 2 of my claims. Also, I replaced the alternator within a month of getting it from the dealership. Thanks for your help

Attachments

• 6F0C5EA3-2609-4C61-9309-1FDC607A7D8A.jpeg
    6F0C5EA3-2609-4C61-9309-1FDC607A7D8A.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 4
  • EEFE805B-1303-44CD-B475-2A68CD188C97.jpeg
    EEFE805B-1303-44CD-B475-2A68CD188C97.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might need to replace the battery. but i would also check all the grounds. make sure all connections are tight. do you have a battery charger? some units can tell if the battery is bad. try that..

OP
OP
Datruckdriver

Datruckdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you might need to replace the battery. but i would also check all the grounds. make sure all connections are tight. do you have a battery charger? some units can tell if the battery is bad. try that..
I will check the grounds, I have the battery on 2amp charge overnight now. When I had it running, even if the battery was bad, shouldn’t the alternator (assuming it’s working properly) keep the truck running at least?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Alternator is needed because battery cannot power it all. Why did you change the alternator to begin with? I suspect a faulty/poor quality/cheap alternator. Yes, check all grounds and cable connection cleanliness. Look under insulation at battery cables just off the battery.

OP
OP
Datruckdriver

Datruckdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alternator was changed originally because it was not charging. Had it tested and it was bad. Put the new one on that I bought at one of the big name auto parts stores , hadn’t had a problem until today.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a GM OE alternator and if the battery is four or more years old replace that as well. Then look to get an advanced scan tool that can do a parasitic draw test and keep tabs on the health of the battery such as GMs MDI2 with GDS2 software on a laptop.

OP
OP
Datruckdriver

Datruckdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am up underneath it as we speak, checking for loose ground wires. I have found a few but they are all snug or tight so far. I’ve got the one coming off the battery to the engine block, I found one underneath drivers door connected to body mount Bracket. I’m sure there’s probably about 100 more or I’m just slowly looking for them. I think I’ll take this alternator off before 7 AM and maybe I’ll get a chance to run it and get it checked out that should still be under warranty. I put a voltmeter on it this morning And it showed about 11 1/2 V. Then I started it, went from 13.5 V down to about 7 pretty rapidly

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like @swathdiver said about battery and I said about the likelihood of a failing new alternator, I believe you have found the problem. I would still locate all grounds, many threads here about that causing numerous weird problems. Also, check for that corrosion.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am up underneath it as we speak, checking for loose ground wires. I have found a few but they are all snug or tight so far. I’ve got the one coming off the battery to the engine block, I found one underneath drivers door connected to body mount Bracket. I’m sure there’s probably about 100 more or I’m just slowly looking for them. I think I’ll take this alternator off before 7 AM and maybe I’ll get a chance to run it and get it checked out that should still be under warranty. I put a voltmeter on it this morning And it showed about 11 1/2 V. Then I started it, went from 13.5 V down to about 7 pretty rapidly
A bad battery can take out an alternator and think that's what you discovered this AM. I would not care about the warranty, get a GM OE alternator and a new battery. I prefer the ACDelco Gold/Professional line but everyone has their favorites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907