2017 K&N Cold Air Intake (Blackhawk Kit)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rgctech

Reaction score
I installed this intake in my suburban as well and love how it compliments my Borla exhaust.

The only downside is they can suck in water. In the fall/winter I drive my truck through the brush-less wash at my local chevron. One day I noticed throttle hesitation while accelerating to get back on the freeway. I made in home and checked the intake to find that it was completely saturated and there was a small puddle of water in the bulbous rubber connector that connects the filter the end of the tube. I uninstalled completely, cleaned, dried, reassembled and haven't had a problem since (I hand wash now).

I've had K&N intakes in the past and have not had this issue. I am wondering if it has something to do with the filter being dry and absorbing water easier rather than repelling it to a degree as oiled filter would. Just thought I would share my experience to prevent any future damage/headache for any of you.

Reaction score
Guys,

Decided to ignore the naysayers on here, and installed a K&N Cold Air Intake (Blackhawk Kit) on my 2017 Tahoe this past weekend (K&N Part # 71-3082). It took about an hour to install, and I'll be honest, I went pretty slow with the tear down, because I didn't want to mess anything up on a brand new truck. Anyways, the install was pretty easy, and here are my results for about an hour of driving so far:

- Sounds meaner when accelerating (Not an obnoxious sound like some people have mentioned)
- Increased MPG (I will post back actuals after a week or so of driving - I commute an hour each way to work highway/city/rural)
- Increased acceleration
- Looks badass

Overall, I'm satisfied with the purchase. I'd love to install a supercharger on my truck one day, but $8k is not justified, and it confuses me as to why they are so expensive...

**Installation Learnings**

If you install this kit, be aware that there are some unknowns not covered clearly on the instruction sheet or in the video.

In the kit, you get two intake hoses: one is 4" (Part C) the other is 3.5" (Part F). If you have the 5.3L engine, you use the 3.5" hose, if you have the 6.2L engine, you use the 4".

Also, the kit does not include hose clamps for the new Crank Case Vent Tubes (Part A). I found that after installation, they were pretty easy to take off. 4 x hose clamps wouldn't be a bad idea to add on.

View attachment 194144
Just did same same on my 18 Tahoe. Bought clamps for the crank case tubes - why not included? Love the uptick in performance. Am now researching Catback exhaust systems to complete the deal.

Page1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Installed the same Blackhawk kit on my 2015 Yukon Denali - Absolutely LOVE IT!!!!! No complaints - Would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
Is there a option for a aluminum tube on the black hawk kit. I use to work for Honeywell aerospace and like to polish the insides of all my air intakes. Uninterrupted flow is something I'm always worried about.

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
Sorry I guess the K&N 71-3070 black hawk comes with a aluminum tube.

BigBlueLB756

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick your oiled filter in some paper from your shredder and it will wick away the excess oil that might muck up your MAF.
Be sure to remove the shreddings before you install the filter into your housing.
(You never know about some people).

TheMaineEvent

Reaction score
I installed this kit today, and as the OP stated, it took about an hour. So far, I'm VERY happy with this upgrade. The vehicle feels mores responsive, but the sound is definitely noticible. There's an audible growl under acceleration which sounds awesome. Great upgrade and one I'd highly recommend.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Decided to ignore the naysayers on here, and installed a K&N Cold Air Intake (Blackhawk Kit) on my 2017 Tahoe this past weekend (K&N Part # 71-3082). It took about an hour to install, and I'll be honest, I went pretty slow with the tear down, because I didn't want to mess anything up on a brand new truck. Anyways, the install was pretty easy, and here are my results for about an hour of driving so far:

- Sounds meaner when accelerating (Not an obnoxious sound like some people have mentioned)
- Increased MPG (I will post back actuals after a week or so of driving - I commute an hour each way to work highway/city/rural)
- Increased acceleration
- Looks badass

Overall, I'm satisfied with the purchase. I'd love to install a supercharger on my truck one day, but $8k is not justified, and it confuses me as to why they are so expensive...

If you install this kit, be aware that there are some unknowns not covered clearly on the instruction sheet or in the video.

In the kit, you get two intake hoses: one is 4" (Part C) the other is 3.5" (Part F). If you have the 5.3L engine, you use the 3.5" hose, if you have the 6.2L engine, you use the 4".

Also, the kit does not include hose clamps for the new Crank Case Vent Tubes (Part A). I found that after installation, they were pretty easy to take off. 4 x hose clamps wouldn't be a bad idea to add on.

View attachment 194144
I installed the same kit but mine included hose clamps - Someone on the line had a bad day?

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed this kit today, and as the OP stated, it took about an hour. So far, I'm VERY happy with this upgrade. The vehicle feels mores responsive, but the sound is definitely noticible. There's an audible growl under acceleration which sounds awesome. Great upgrade and one I'd highly recommend.
One other thing about the K&N kit - The rubber seal on the top edge does not seal completely against the hood. This allows hot engine bay air to be inducted and reduces power. I removed the air box seal and installed a larger piece of foam rubber. I initially tested the concept with pipe insulation from Home Depot, then upgraded with bulk trunk seal from the local NAPA store. Worked great!

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

- Increased acceleration
- Looks badass

[

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts