2017 Denali AU JUS in carpet??? Removal help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my wife picked up Italian beef for a work party in our 2017 Denali. All is well and good until one of the lids wasn't sealed and decided to burp out when making a turn. The second row center and passenge side footwell got soaked. It sat for about 4 hours while there until I was notified when she got home.......commence choice expletives!

I shop vacuumed it out, doused it with lemon dish water soap and sucked that out. Followed up with vinegar water and sucked that up. Let air dry for 24 hrs with a fan.

Seemed good for the first 2 weeks and I got hungry every time I drove it because it had a faint whiff of Italian beef. Fast forward to now and it smells like dead beef......FML

I am going to do the baking soda routine folled by straight vinegar and vacuum tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone here has tips or tricks to cleaning carpet and making it bearable again. Otherwise I'm in the market for a new rug.....

Thanks

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t say about the stain but sliced apples help with the smell. Found this out the hard way. Place apples between pad and carpet. If the carpet pad got soaked you may end up replacing some of it. Maybe a good detailer in your area might help?

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I ended up soaking it with vinegar a few time and letting it dry. It has killed some of the smell, but I got more to do. I was able to pull the carpet area up and soak the padding as well. I ordered some nice natural peppermint and tea tree oil soaps. I might whip up a batch with one of them and see how it goes. Probably gonna need to get aggressive at this point with the suds.....

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks dude, had a similar event with crockpot beans :)

Since it was soaked for hours, the pad and the carpet has the spill in it. You will need to aggressively clean those (think shampoo machine or better yet a pressure washer).
If you could pull the carpet / pad and hose them down you'd be miles ahead.

Vinegar and dish soap is the go to mix for diy. Ratio like 1 tablespoon of soap, 1 tablespoon of vinegar then 2 cups of very warm water.

Once summer hits this will be significantly worse, your gonna need to get the spill pulled out or it will always have a stink.
good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne