2013 Yukon XL Denali - introduction and questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dictum

Reaction score
Finally said good bye to the 2008 Tahoe with 5.3L. It stubbornly would not quit, after 267K miles, just kept ticking. Without major repairs. Maybe because I disabled the AFM 100K miles ago.

Anyway. Just got this and what a beast. 2013 Denali XL. Specifically wanted these specs. One-owner, fully garaged all of its life. 175K on the clock, only 40K on the 6.2L engine. The original probably failed due to lifters/camshaft failure. I need to disable the 4-cylinder AFM basically yesterday. Do I need a tuner or is there a shortcut. Does driving it in the "M" mode not engage the 4-cylinder mode and do I need to do something special when putting it in "M" drive mode?

Trying to figure out things, the display device in the center console confuses me. I need a glove box manual for it.
* How to access the settings to permanently turn off dome lights (and headlights from cutting on) when unlocking/opening the door, and then beep when setting the alarm. I pushed the button in (next to the headlight switch), it did not do anything.
* Where can I buy a Factory Service Manual? Paper or a digital one?
* How do I remove the rear seats, the 3rd row and how much might they cost? I will be listing them in the classifieds.
* Is there an extended (oversized) filter for the 6.2L and what grade synthetic oil do I use?

762XU9S.jpg

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ebay for the owner's manual, there should be plenty of info on the rear seat removal, do a quick Google search. I would go by the owner's manual for the oil weight as you will probably get several different recommendations which can be confusing. Nice looking rig, enjoy the new ride.

Reaction score
Here is a digital pdf manual for the 2012 Denali.

Oil would be 5w30 synthetic
Longer filter is Pf63, Wix 57045, K&N HP2011, or Mobil M1-212

EDIT: file is too large to upload. It's 7.8mb. Someone on here should have a link to the GM site to download manuals. @swathdiver

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally said good bye to the 2008 Tahoe with 5.3L. It stubbornly would not quit, after 267K miles, just kept ticking. Without major repairs. Maybe because I disabled the AFM 100K miles ago.

Anyway. Just got this and what a beast. 2013 Denali XL. Specifically wanted these specs. One-owner, fully garaged all of its life. 175K on the clock, only 40K on the 6.2L engine. The original probably failed due to lifters/camshaft failure. I need to disable the 4-cylinder AFM basically yesterday. Do I need a tuner or is there a shortcut. Does driving it in the "M" mode not engage the 4-cylinder mode and do I need to do something special when putting it in "M" drive mode?

Trying to figure out things, the display device in the center console confuses me. I need a glove box manual for it.
* How to access the settings to permanently turn off dome lights (and headlights from cutting on) when unlocking/opening the door, and then beep when setting the alarm. I pushed the button in (next to the headlight switch), it did not do anything.
* How do I remove the rear seats, the 3rd row and how much might they cost? I will be listing them in the classifieds.
* Is there an extended (oversized) filter for the 6.2L and what grade synthetic oil do I use?

View attachment 394011
.pdf manual is free on the gm website
approach lighting options are set in the DIC
rear seats simply pull out and are not functionally different than any 07-14 as far as I know
fold the seat down and grab the lower handle and yank hard and they come right out.
v4 mode can be disabled with practically any cheap used canned tuner found on ebay or pay for a tune.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fram Ultra XG10575 or Fram Titanium FS10575 for our Denali.
6 filters.JPG

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know?????

I do know that some specialty oils are designed to clean by liquifying deposits, not just breaking them loose.

Examples: HighPerformance Lubricants Engine Cleaner:
https://www.advlubrication.com/collections/automotive-lubricants/products/engine-cleaner
and
Valvoline Premium Blue "Restore" (no longer available). I have 3 gals of this that I may use in one or more of my vehicles someday.
https://www.dieselpro.co/VALVOLINE-Premium-Blue™-RESTORE-SAE-10W-30-Heavy-Duty-Engine-Oil_p_1547.html

Valvoline Restore.jpg

I'm sure there are others.

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fram Ultra XG10575 or Fram Titanium FS10575 for our Denali.
View attachment 394174
It looks as though you went to a diesel oil? (5w-40) I wonder if the different additives did more of a cleaning process.

I like how serious you are on oil changes BTW. Thanks for rhe insight. I go by miles, then oil color on the stick, them color when dropped. After that it's all new and no cares. Some ATF every few changes to wash stuff out in the last 500 to 1k miles before dumping.

Good stuff!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 394011
Yes, manual mode disables AFM, but only if you keep it in 5th gear. Works well for most normal driving and you should see the same fuel economy, if not better for 60 mph or lower.

A RANGE Device plugs into the OBD2 and disables the AFM. I put one in my 2017 Denali 6.2.L at 41k and it now has 128K without any issues. It was $150 from the rain forest (Amazon....I Crack myself up sometimes. LOL)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17