2012 Yukon Denali 6L80 Issues/Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
WOW, I REALLY appreciate the materials list! I started running them until I became bug eyed (my day job has me tired on top of this project).

If you don't mind me asking-what is the approximate turn key cost here in parts?

easymoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good Morning Gurus! I'm new to the board but have been using it as a resource (Great One at that).

Quick Facts:

-2012 GMC Yukon Denali 152,000K miles
-Bought Brand New
- 0 problems to date

ISSSUE: I was running fine last week, felt something a LITTLE sketchy when shifting out of first (at a stop light).
Next day was driving on the freeway (AND ZOOOMMMM) RPMS hit 3,000 + and I'm doing 30 mph until I can get to the closest town.
After I set for awhile I was able to drive with little problems; HOWEVER, the engine light came on AND has sense turned off.

My question: I've been to one mechanic who had good reviews. He didn't even look at it and just said "yeah, I know what's going on $3300 for aftermarket parts and a rebuilt transmission".
I gather he knows his stuff; however, how do I know what's actually gone in that transmission? Seems to me like a Torque Converter would be necessary and whatever else. Also, he would be using Sonnax aftermarket parts? **Opinions here?***

Is this just a "fix it once and replace everything while you're in there approach" and is it advised?

I believe I will be needing work done to my Catalytic convertor and likely some suspension repairs in the near future.

Trying to figure out my total cost of ownership or if its time to abandon ship and move onto the next problem vehicle.

Any advice is appreciated - My apologies for the long post.

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
I haven't made any progress on replacing the suspension parts but I do need to get the vehicle back on the road.

If I'm looking to do the bare minimum would replacing the stablizer control links keep me on the road safely?

If so, should I go with the quickest parts I can find (durlast gold from Autozone) or wait for a better quality?

To reiterate-within reason I am trying to keep her rolling until I figure out my end game goal

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't made any progress on replacing the suspension parts but I do need to get the vehicle back on the road.

If I'm looking to do the bare minimum would replacing the stablizer control links keep me on the road safely?

If so, should I go with the quickest parts I can find (durlast gold from Autozone) or wait for a better quality?

To reiterate-within reason I am trying to keep her rolling until I figure out my end game goal
Yes, you can get your stabilizer bar end links from anywhere, but if you have a little bit of time to wait for FedEx, the ones that have poly bushings and stainless steel hardware are a better choice.

WillL84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, did you ever find out what was wrong with your trans? My wife's 2012 Yukon XL just lost 4/5/6 the other day, only 99k on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep