2011 Yukon Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

Fred Betz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’d consider initiating a shift motor relearn on the transfer case and differential components. The front diff electric worm motor may be slow or binding. When you go into Auto or 4hi the front electric motor fully engages and the transfer case electric shift motor engages appropriately (immediately when selecting 4hi or when needed in Auto). Please correct me if I’m wrong here.
The front worm drive motor is easy to test. Takes a minute to unplug the connector, unscrew the motor assembly from the front differential, and plug the connector back in. Have a friend engage the 4hi or Auto with the key on/engine off. The tip of the motor should move forward. Maybe video the motor when it does this and compare to a brand new one.
I leave my work’s 2012 Tahoe in auto all winter and there is slight binding on tight turns.
A Tech II / scantool commanded relearn might rule out and or detect issues with the transfer case electric motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I'm new to the forum having a little trouble navigating. The new trans is under warranty. Is the TC part of the transmission drive train? Thanks again.

OP
OP
F

Fred Betz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’d consider initiating a shift motor relearn on the transfer case and differential components. The front diff electric worm motor may be slow or binding. When you go into Auto or 4hi the front electric motor fully engages and the transfer case electric shift motor engages appropriately (immediately when selecting 4hi or when needed in Auto). Please correct me if I’m wrong here.
The front worm drive motor is easy to test. Takes a minute to unplug the connector, unscrew the motor assembly from the front differential, and plug the connector back in. Have a friend engage the 4hi or Auto with the key on/engine off. The tip of the motor should move forward. Maybe video the motor when it does this and compare to a brand new one.
I leave my work’s 2012 Tahoe in auto all winter and there is slight binding on tight turns.
A Tech II / scantool commanded relearn might rule out and or detect issues with the transfer case electric motor.

Thank you. I'm new to the forum having a little trouble navigating. The new trans is under warranty. Is the TC part of the transmission drive train? Thanks again.

OP
OP
F

Fred Betz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your transfer case (TC) bolts on to the output of the transmission but is a separate gearbox and would not be covered under transmission warranty.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fred, the transfer case fluid should be changed every 50k miles or so, just like the transmission since they take the same fluid, Dexron VI.

Change the fluid, inspect the magnetic plug for chunks of metal and then consider changing it again a little sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SAUDADES333