2011 Tahoe Gear Ratio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brentlaborde

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Z71 Tahoe with a 6" Suspension Lift and was wondering if i need to change out my gear ratio from a stock 3.73 to higher gear ratio.

If so how much dollars would that take to change out?

Are is it not necessary to change out.

Thanks

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Z71 Tahoe with a 6" Suspension Lift and was wondering if i need to change out my gear ratio from a stock 3.73 to higher gear ratio.

If so how much dollars would that take to change out?

Are is it not necessary to change out.

Thanks

A lift has nothing to do with gears -- only larger tires do. Do you have larger tires on the truck, and is the truck sluggish? If not, there's no need to change anything.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the OP was asking, I was assuming he was experiencing some issues with the larger setup. Always good to ask though :cheers:.

Based on his other thread, he is running almost 35 inch diameter tires (325/65/18) that are about 12.5 inches in width. I would be surprised if he was not experiencing any sluggishness or odd tranny shifts. Although there hasn't been too much feed back with large/heavy tires in regards to the six speed tranny.

OP
OP
B

brentlaborde

Reaction score
Since the OP was asking, I was assuming he was experiencing some issues with the larger setup. Always good to ask though :cheers:.

Based on his other thread, he is running almost 35 inch diameter tires (325/65/18) that are about 12.5 inches in width. I would be surprised if he was not experiencing any sluggishness or odd tranny shifts. Although there hasn't been too much feed back with large/heavy tires in regards to the six speed tranny.

If i do change out the gears and go higher, would it effect the warranty of the vehicle now and long term

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty. Well you already modified the suspension (a 6" lift at that) so IMO I would not be worried about changing to aftermarket gears. It's all about interpretation at the dealership in regards to modification(s), relation to issues, and application of the warranty. Also see Magnuson Act.

IMO upgrading gears would relieve some of the work the engine has to do. But with larger wheels/tires and suspension lift, you are stressing more parts. You started down the path of modifications and you just need to accept the pros/cons of each and really enjoy the rig.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts