2007 GMC Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can some one give a run down on how reliable the 6.2 L 6 speed was in a stock 2007 GMC Denali was it good high mileage engine and transmission.
Was it as good as the 2006 GMC Yukon 5.3 L .. Did they have tranny issues ? With first 6 speeds ? And what's first year of the 6.2 L.
They were very reliable without too many issues. They've certainly been resolved by now if you find one still on the road. All of the 2007s were AWD.

We see one or two a year of the L92s at about 175K miles where a valve spring breaks on #7 or #8 cylinder. The transmissions will run into the 200s if they were serviced properly, even the early ones. Most fail in the 160s because the fluid was never changed and they really only need the solenoids in the TECHM replaced but most opt for full rebuild or replacement.

The very earliest trucks (2007-2009) had a recall for the optional heated washer fluid that was deleted. These early vehicles had the option for Rainsense wipers but it was not used on later models for reasons unknown to me. The early trucks with power folding 2nd row seats had buttons to control them up front in the headliner which was deleted in later years for reasons unknown to me as well.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were very reliable without too many issues. They've certainly been resolved by now if you find one still on the road. All of the 2007s were AWD.

We see one or two a year of the L92s at about 175K miles where a valve spring breaks on #7 or #8 cylinder. The transmissions will run into the 200s if they were serviced properly, even the early ones. Most fail in the 160s because the fluid was never changed and they really only need the solenoids in the TECHM replaced but most opt for full rebuild or replacement.

The very earliest trucks (2007-2009) had a recall for the optional heated washer fluid that was deleted. These early vehicles had the option for Rainsense wipers but it was not used on later models for reasons unknown to me. The early trucks with power folding 2nd row seats had buttons to control them up front in the headliner which was deleted in later years for reasons unknown to me as well
Great info . Thanks , anything over 100,000 miles a dice roll really if they did the service . At 150,000 you might get 50,000 miles and you need to price accordingly .. needs to be under $10,000 at 150,000 miles . I think that's about right if there pretty clean everything working . I believe that's right way to look at them. I noticed 2009 jump about $5000 more.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can some one give a run down on how reliable the 6.2 L 6 speed was in a stock 2007 GMC Denali was it good high mileage engine and transmission.
Was it as good as the 2006 GMC Yukon 5.3 L .. Did they have tranny issues ? With first 6 speeds ? And what's first year of the 6.2 L.
Here a thread I did 3 yrs ago about the first 18 mths of owning our 07 Yukon Denali w/6.2L & 6L80e tranny:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/what-ive-done-to-my-yukon-denali-the-past-18-months.118329/
I'm now about to rebuild the frt suspension.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my new-to-me 07 Yukon XL Denali 3 years ago with 125,000 miles, and I have not had any serious issues with the transmission or the motor. If given the chance to do it again, I'd do it in an instant.

Hopefully, this is a direct answer to the OP's question.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 07 with 170,000 on the clock for 8,000 two years ago. Almost everything that goes bad on these models has happened. First thing was the vvt sensor. The rain sense wiper sensor went bad so the wipers don’t work at all when it goes bad. Easy fix just unplug it and it will work.Rear auto ride shocks and compressor are shot now. Lifter decided to shit the bed and also took a pice off the block. Had to but a rebuilt motor 4,500. Motor mounts needed to be replaced also. Pass side power folding mirror stripped a gear so now it doesn’t fold on its own. If you live in the city it’s a very useful feature. The motor to recline my pass seat died after my son moved it forward to vacuum the truck. Notbody could sit in the seat until I replaced the motor. Took a month for that. Drivers seat gear stripped so it won’t move forward or back. Really don’t care about that because it’s in the position I need it at. Dash just got its first crack. Air back sensor just went bad. One of the rear exterior door handles broke. And I’m starting to feel a hard shift every once and a while. Sat for most of last year due to the motor situation other than that she’s great. . I’ve spent like another 10 grand fixing all these things. I now have a love hate relation ship with my Denali. I wish I had gone with the suburban for the 5.3 motor goes bad it won’t be that much to replace. Mind you the Denali looked immaculate when I bought her. Very little rust on the chassis.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@a4edwin , your post cracked me up, in a good way. Nice explanation!

You forgot to add:
Oil pick up o-ring
Valley plate o-rings
Rear main seal
Front diff fluid full of fuzz
Front diff mounting bracket bushings

And........the list can go on for a used truck.

In all honesty I had a 2007 Denali and it was my most favorite one out of he 5 I've owned. Bought it at 160k (new trans at 100k), put some of the aforementioned laundry list of maintenance into it over 70k. Sold it at 227k and regretted it ever since.

I've had (2) 2009 Denali XL trucks. 1 good, one a POS. Currently have a 2008 and 2017 Denali. My 2008 is close-ish to my 2007, but still not the same. My 2017 is a whole different animal with all the creature comforts a wife could want.......it just doesn't have the AWESOME exhaust note like the previous generation.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You forgot to add:
Oil pick up o-ring
Valley plate o-rings
Rear main seal

In all honesty I had a 2007 Denali and it was my most favorite one out of he 5 I've owned. Bought it at 160k (new trans at 100k), put some of the aforementioned laundry list of maintenance into it over 70k. Sold it at 227k and regretted it ever since.

I've had (2) 2009 Denali XL trucks. 1 good, one a POS. Currently have a 2008 and 2017 Denali. My 2008 is close-ish to my 2007, but still not the same. My 2017 is a whole different animal with all the creature comforts a wife could want.......it just doesn't have the AWESOME exhaust note like the previous generation.
Is there a cheaper fix for that fancy suspension. Z55 Like after market ? Or does everyone just take ac Delco hit on price . I was just surfing rock Auto for shocks .lol pretty scary.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You forgot to add:
Oil pick up o-ring
Valley plate o-rings
Rear main seal

Did you tow with your Denali 1500 ? I really need a 2500 but cost is to crazy . But how did the 6.2L tow good with that Z55 suspension ? One I'm looking at looks like they never towed anything paints still on the receiver .. It's a tuff decision at 150,000 miles .

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries on the towing. It'll handle a trailer like a champ. I've hauled atv's, firewood, travel trailer all without any issues. Granted a 2500 would be nicer for the extra suspension and the 6.0L/trans combo but use common sense and tow/haul as needed, you'll be fine.

As for the shocks, Arnott offers a OE replacement with a resistor ro bypass the suspension light. Lifetime warranty as well if you don't want to go GM

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add in my post rear auto ride shocks are shot. So I’m pretty sure the air compressor burnt itself out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins