2007-2014 Tahoe owners - would you do it all over...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bondservant2, Apr 9, 2019.

1. DesertRat

DesertRat TYF Newbie

Name:
    Perry
    I bought a salvage titled 07 Tahoe 4x4 last year, just put the engine back in it after adding a cam, getting a valve job, adding a DOD delete kit, getting a tune and addressing a bunch of other small issues. Absolutely would buy again, I only wish I bought one 4 years earlier when I bought a different SUV.

While I'm not a big fan of the interior, it's space, power, parts availability and aftermarket support have made me a fan. It's my first GM product and after working on it for the past month, I've become an even bigger fan. I have a family and it ticks a lot of boxes for us.

2. miatawnt2b

miatawnt2b TYF Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    I personally would not. I bought a 2012 Escalade ESV for the wife about 3 years ago, and a few months after I got a 2012 Infiniti QX56 for myself. The QX is a much nicer ride IMO. I don't have to worry about motor mounts, crap suspension, cheap feeling interior. Everyone is different of course.
    -J

3. 06 Yukon XL

06 Yukon XL Full Access Member

Name:
    Michael

4. 06 Yukon XL

06 Yukon XL Full Access Member

Name:
    Michael
    Yes I did post the theft and possibly the recovery here.

swathdiver likes this.
  5. avalonandl

avalonandl Full Access Member

Name:
    roger
    I drove an 08' with 135k and drove well. Drove an 11' really clean .... didn't like the brakes, but the vehicle was NICE- sold already.

6. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Keep hunting!

7. Bigkevschopshop

Bigkevschopshop Full Access Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Well this is my 3rd gm suv… My wife had a 09 Tahoe ltz years back, it got wrecked, she got a Durango after.. I wished I had kept the Tahoe and fixed it some days, was clean all in all... I was driving a ram at that time anyways... Then I had a 11 Silverado for 2 years 6.2l that was a fine ltz truck...flat out strolled and towed... Then the oil industry crashed, I lost a lot of things but kept my house and my family... So I daily drove my 56 pickup for 6 months... bought a 03 4.8 lt Tahoe, barn door rear... It was dirty, beat up, and ugly... I turned it around, cleaned, and fixed most things wrong with it, drove it for 2 years, the lil 4.8 towed more than it should have... went places it wasn't meant to go, but did it man... She was a trooper... Then I found my current one. 1.5 years ago... 12 burb...had 97k on it, black on black tx edition lt... the 5.3 in the XL/burb with 3.08 gears leaves a lot to be desired for changing speed on the freeway, and towing... But it does it... Only thing I would do differently is either get a denalli xl, or esky esv… reason being the 6.2 l is nice... BUT I do like that my burb has less complicated crap to go wrong... Just a zw7 smooth ride package, so conventional springs and shocks, the air or mag ride stuff gets expensive... Im at 121k, just did a family vacation in the burb last weekend 500 miles... I drive 500 miles a week commuting for my job.. she goes every day down the fwy 75+....

Only complaints, dash cracked before I got it... Headlights are in need some some LED bulbs I think to get more out of em…

Yeah I would do it again, but probably try to find something with 3.42 or 3.73 gears stock... For the comfort, these trucks are on point, I drove some newer ones, cant justify 20k more money for a big screen in the dash and some more leather... I had looked at a 14 esky nearby... 24k for a esky with 58k on it... not bad at all... just going from long to short would suck and why I haven't done it. The longs ride better, the cargo room is amazing to have.

swathdiver likes this.
  8. Spank13

Spank13 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Jon
    My 2007 Tahoe LTZ has frankly been the money pit of all money pits. Cat Converter, $1100. Twice I have had to do the rotors when the pads were replaced due to excessive warping (always used OEM parts) (about $600 each time). Replaced the airride suspension with a coil kit (my got does it drive better). Then the biggie, the engine and alternator at about 150k $9500. The AFM 5.3 is a terrible engine. I had a bulletproof 2000 Silverado with the 6.0L I should have never gotten rid of. It absolutely crushed the Tahoe on mileage. The only reason I have kept the thing is that it does have every feature I need, and with the repairs, runs smooth. I am just looking forward to the dy when I donate it to the bomb squad to be blown up.

swathdiver and bboyce10 like this.
  9. bboyce10

bboyce10 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    Nope. Definitely not for the 2009-2011 range.

10. bboyce10

bboyce10 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    My 2009 has also been the money pit. Too many blend doors, brake switces, batteries, grounding issues, window regulators, various sensors, and a lower engine rebuild at 89K miles.

swathdiver likes this.