2004 Yukon SLT shifting problems - (sigh)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stevo1975

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Yukon has 187,000 miles on it (I know, kinda scary), and I'm mechanically inclined, however, this is baffling. I will begin by saying this happens at random (once every 10 days or so?), and I don't get a check engine light. Doesn't matter what the weather is like either. It's as if the TPS is bad, where once I accelerate, it upshifts waay too early and bogs the engine down, like it doesn't know what gear it's supposed to be in. Also when I come to a complete stop, once in a while it won't downshift into first gear. Even when I floor it, it refuses to downshift. I have replaced the TPS with a brand new one, and it didn't work. I then manually downshifted through the gears when stopping and manually upshifting when I take off when the truck was acting up. That seems to work. Also, when this happens, a simple 10 minute drive, shutting the truck down, then restarting and everything works again. Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I 2ND THAT, check/clean or replace the MAF, after 160k there questionable, certainly worth a gamble replacing that first versus a transmission.

OP
OP
S

Stevo1975

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will do that. Never dawned on me that the MAF sensor would cause this problem. Learn something new every day.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Thanks guys. I will do that. Never dawned on me that the MAF sensor would cause this problem. Learn something new every day.
The trans in these rigs are electronically controlled and take shift queues from a combination of mass airflow, throttle position, and manifold air pressure sensors. Mass airflow tends to be the most common, as it's very sensitive to dirt/oil contamination, followed by the throttle position sensor, which is prone to wear and tear. Manifold air pressure sensor is fairly robust and failures on it are nearly unheard of

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n