2003 Yukon Warm-Up Time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boulderskies

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
About how long does the average 2003 Yukon/Tahoe take to get up to operating temperature (190 or so)?

I have a 2003 Yukon with 5.3 Vortect V8 with 5 month old T-Stat and it takes on average about 30 minutes to warm up. I feel this is way too long.

Any ideas?

Scott

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on how cold it is outside.....also keep in mind i have the 34" radiator with rear heat and a severe duty fan clutch, 15 mins of driving is the longest I have seen. 30 mins seem way too long, like the t-stat is stuck open or that's 30 mins idling in the driveway when its zero outside and the defrost on so the a/c compressor is kicking the fans on. Edit...(IF YOU HAVE E-FAN CONVERSION)

MTHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ill start my tahoe in single digits if not negative and let it idle for 20 minutes. The gauge will read about 165 or the 1/4 mark and then after about 5-10 minutes of driving it'll hit operating. There's a lot of factors at play here that need to be determined before we can give an accurate guess.

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30 mins is way too long. Even without the radiator wind guard and in -20C weather my 04 Burb will warm up to full operating temp in under 10 mins of driving. The key to a quicker warmup is to turn off the rear blower and turn the front one right down. The wife hates this even when I remind her they are just going to blow cold air ... turn the seat warmer up honey Sounds like you might have a tstat stuck open.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
30 mins is way too long. Even without the radiator wind guard and in -20C weather my 04 Burb will warm up to full operating temp in under 10 mins of driving. The key to a quicker warmup is to turn off the rear blower and turn the front one right down. The wife hates this even when I remind her they are just going to blow cold air ... turn the seat warmer up honey Sounds like you might have a tstat stuck open.
That, or an open hose going from radiator to reservoir.

https://f01.justanswer.com/El_Jared...8a3-3b0468cd5f20_GM_TSB_on_heating_issues.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076