2003 XL Dash Needs Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03LAYuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got two issues with the dashboard in my 2003 Yukon XL. One is electrical and the other is air conditioning or HVAC in general. I’m hoping someboody here has had one or both of these same experiences so my fingers are crossed!

Electrical: At times with no relation that I can track, the entire dash goes dark. When this happens the radio is out as well. I can be in the car driving and all is well. Go to the store, come back out, stick the key in the ignition and all is dark. Sometimes I can turn the key off and back on and it will light up, other times this does nothing but a few bumps down the road will light it up. Obviously this is an electrical connection and I would think a major one since the entire dash goes out. Exterior lights are not affected. While I’m at it, unrelated to this is the temp/compass in the rear view mirror. This has gone out altogether. Any ideas for this too?

HVAC: At least when the air conditioning is turned on, there is a ratcheting sound that comes from what sounds like something in the air duct above the driver’s feet. This happens every time now. Just the other day the ratcheting sound started and stopped by itself during normal driving with nobody touching a thing but this is new. The vent, air conditioning and heat all work fine with the dual climate control, it’s just the nasty noise at the beginning. Any ideas?

If it matters, this is a 2WD SLT with the 5.3L. I searched a little but didn’t find what I was looking for. New to this site so I may be missing something. Thanks a bunch in advance.

ilmk123

Reaction score
The noise is coming from the mode actuator above the gas pedal. The mode actuator changes from defrost to A/C, to heat. I would try this first before I did anything else......Scott

Then you will disconnect the battery for atleast 30 seconds. Then reconnect battery, turn the ignition to the ON position for atleast 1 minute, but he suggested 3-4 minutes so that's what I did, and DO NOT TOUCH THE A/C CONTROLS!!! You will then turn ignition to the OFF position for atleast 10 seconds, then start the engine and confirm the new actuator is working correctly by turning the climate knob from cold to hot. See if it stops the noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n