2002 Yukon LX Radio Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

im_bmw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would like to eventually replace both the rear and front head units on my 2002 Yukon XL. It is just the basic system, and I don't want anything fancy really. An iPod jack would be nice.

I would like to retain the ability to use each HU separately, however (the rear with headphones - and cutting out the rear speakers when used this way.) This is how the stock system behaves, but is that a feature built into the head units, the wiring, or what?

Is there a certain wiring harness I will need to keep this behavior?

Suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. I tried searching within the forum, but couldn't find anything that addressed this specifically. If you can point me to an existing thread, that's cool too!

Thanks!
im_bmw

OP
OP
I

im_bmw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, after doing some more legwork, I realize that what really exists in my 2002 Yukon XL is a dual-zone system. I also realize that there are many choices of dual-zone receivers available. Most, however, simply use the front speakers as zone 1, and the rear speakers as zone 2. What was stock on the Yukon was when the rear control unit (for zone2) was turned off, all speakers worked. When the rear control unit (for zone2) was turned on, the rear speakers were bypassed, and the dual headphone jacks (for zone 2) were active.

Does anyone know of a lower-end receiver that I could wire to match what I have. I can't imagine having Zones 1 and 2 playing sources out loud through the speakers--I think that would drive me nuts! It sounds better to me to have the kids using wired headphones for zone 2 in the back, while I have the front speakers for zone 1.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Do I have the idea right now? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbg9192