2002 Yukon Denali drives fine for about 15 mins, but then.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LuciferVR4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys! I have had my 02 XL denali now for a few years, never really had problems other than the front carrier bearings and a leaky water pump (not bad for 282k!) but lately I have been having the weirdest issue. The truck will start right up and never have any problems with that, but after driving for 15-25 mins it starts to bog and almost acts like its in a limp mode or has a bad maf. It starts slightly with it only happening around full throttle but within a minute or two the gas pedal becomes useless and it starts to misfire and bog down but wont die. All I have to do is shut the truck off and can immediately start it right back up and it will drive great again for another roughly 15-20 mins and do it again. Doesnt matter if the truck is cold or hot. I can pretty much time it to when its going to happen. I was a tech for 10 years and never dealt with anything like this. No CEL either. (it does have a pending code P0157 - O2 sensor circuit low voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2) but it has had that code for a good year now and comes and goes as it pleases. The truck is completely stock, other than the cats are removed. Before it starts acting stupid the truck idles great and has all its power. Im at a loss here. Any ideas? I have searched and searched and cant find anything like this.

OP
OP
LuciferVR4

LuciferVR4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also forgot to mention plugs and wires are only roughly a month old. Everything is OEM as well. o2 sensor test passed, voltage also changes as its driving. Timing seems like its in spec on the reader. Was driving home from picking up kids from grandparents and bumped my dimmer switch all the way up (usually have them dimmed down bout halfway the last couple days) and the truck ran fine all the way home with no issues. This seems like it is just a coincidence and doesnt really have anything to do with it, altho i have seen weirder stuff happen.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Stick a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and tape it to the windshield so you can watch fuel pressure while driving.

OP
OP
LuciferVR4

LuciferVR4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think i still have a FP gauge laying around the shop somewhere. Guess I could rob the one off my track car to rig one up if I need to. Ill try getting out there today once the rain lets up a little

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar