2001 Z71 trans not shifting in this COOOOLD weather.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1yesfan

Reaction score
2001 with 177k on it, unknown if trans fluid has even been changed but based on how well prev orig owner took car of truck, prob done at some point. Well here in Cincy as many of you are having, COLD weather, like only 15-20 for a high, low 5 and -5 tonight. My trans has never done what it is doing and that is sticking in first and taking a mile or so to finally start shifting. Clearly I am not driving fast until it shifts. I know if I let it warm up a little it prob will shift then. But what is causing this?
ANY other conditions it shifts fine, no slipping, hard shifts, nothing.

Thanks

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, when the trans is cold it holds gears to higher rpms and doesn't lock up the TCC until it reaches a set trans-temp then it operates normally. Did you pick up your speed a bit to see if it would shift? How about manually shifting it with the shifter on the column? Honestly, if it were mine, I would try the lever first. If it shifts with the lever then it's not likely to be a mechanical failure/sticking in the trans (although it still could be). If it shifts manually then try to get to shift by speeding up a bit. Get your rpm up over 3,000 for a few seconds and see if it will go to 2nd. If so, it's likely just a warm-up mode thing.

MTHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I'd agree with Mark, sounds like a warm up issue. Ill notice that my transmission will take a little bit to get to "normal" shifting patterns on real cold mornings if i just get in the truck and go. Even probably 5 minutes of warm up time would help your issue.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
What RPM is it shifting at?

Mine's about damn near the same hot or cold under throttle. Will shift a little later if I'm say gliding down a hill when cold. And it won't lock the torque converter until coolant is 160. Will be happy to get a video of my behavior if interested

Musicars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-28 degrees here in Minneapolis yesterday. Mine also took at least a mile to shift. Had to drive slowly at 25 mph. Eventually went faster, got RPM to between 2500 and 3000, let go of the throttle, and it shifted. My temp gauge never came up from 100 degrees. When air temperature is above zero it takes a little more RPM to get it to shift but only a few blocks. Last vehicle I had that had shifting problems in "cool" weather just needed a filter and fluid change. That one had a real bad lag and I thought I needed transmission repair but didn't. Unless you know the transmission history you could even have the original fluid.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2001 with 177k on it, unknown if trans fluid has even been changed but based on how well prev orig owner took car of truck, prob done at some point. Well here in Cincy as many of you are having, COLD weather, like only 15-20 for a high, low 5 and -5 tonight. My trans has never done what it is doing and that is sticking in first and taking a mile or so to finally start shifting. Clearly I am not driving fast until it shifts. I know if I let it warm up a little it prob will shift then. But what is causing this?
ANY other conditions it shifts fine, no slipping, hard shifts, nothing.

Thanks
Mine does the exact same thing only in 2nd not first cold weather issue for sure. I wondered about the age of the trans fluid went and bought a fluid pump and pumped out the trans pan the best I could. Transmission fluid was a redish brown so I flushed it a few times. I have the Deep pan with the factory drain plug but the drain plugs often will not come loose as they are sealed to prevent leaking.