2001 Tahoe/Yukon Owners - I need help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grizzlyak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Yukon was subject to attempted theft and as a result my ignition and door locks were destroyed. The auto body at the dealership replaced the locks, but they replaced the ignition key with one without the thumb lugs (saying it was no longer available) nor does the steering lock any more (and I'm 99.99% certain that it did before). They showed me a Tech Data Sheet (#01-02-35-003) dated Apr 6, 2001 that states that at some point in 2001 model year, the steering lock was removed from production. My Yukon had a production date of 12/00. They also showed me two documents that showed the differences, one with the lock (TC06-632 01/19/99) called 1st DES - Sphere Joint and a second sheet (which they said was my model, or TC06-620 10/04/17) called 2nd DES - Lean Shaft.

I need some feedback from 2001 Yukon/Tahoe owners who both have and don't have steering lock on their vehicles, and if possible, the date of manufacturer from the door frame placard, to form a basis for discussion with the dealership. Also, let me know if you have thumb lugs on your ignition keyhole or not.

Finally, when I got the vehicle back (after nearly 3 weeks - comedy of errors on their part), the steering wheel felt like it was jammed up in some way, noticeably more difficult to turn than the previous 16 years I've been driving it, plus there was a roughness, a kind of grinding, when I turned the wheel. I could be driving down the road and if I turned the wheel, it would remain there, and in no way try to return to normal straight direction, which it would do before. Also, if I grab the steering wheel at 3 and 9 and move it back and forth, there seems to be WAY too much play and looseness. My theory is that I did have a locking wheel, and the thief really racked on it to break it.

I'm taking it back in tomorrow morning, so any feedback before then would be great appreciated.

Thanks!!
Shane

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have an 03, but have you had the front end checked lately? That might be the cause of some of your issues.

OP
OP
G

grizzlyak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, complete workup. Front end is tight, as it was the day before the attempted theft. I've driven it for 16 years. Something is wrong. And as stated I'm 99% sure it also had locking steering too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore